Honda Twins banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there supposed to be teeths on the tensioner? the pully/gear on mine looks a bit chewed up but were there teeth there to begin with if so, where did they go? anyone?

·
Registered
785 Posts
Woody32 said:
Are there supposed to be teeths on the tensioner? the pully/gear on mine looks a bit chewed up but were there teeth there to begin with if so, where did they go? anyone?
I am tearing into my 350 engine today but, before I opened my engine, I called Honda to find out if the chain, roller & tensioner were still available and they were so I ordered them yesterday.

The pieces of roller disappear over the years in oil changes. I have been seeing little pieces of black stuff come out of these engines since my 1st oil change on one.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so if i have no teeth, i need to either see a dentist or buy a new tensioner?

·
Registered
785 Posts
Woody32 said:
so if i have no teeth, i need to either see a dentist or buy a new tensioner?
They don't have teeth in the micro fiche picture and one of my rollers is still in good shape but, the other one os a little worn out.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
mine actually looks in better shape than yours. both of mine look like the left roller in your picture. so they don't have teeth? so I don't need a new one? i'll have to get a picture up of it.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
No teeth on those 350 rollers.......yours look pretty bad, Ray..

Something about that "larger" (at least it's supposed to be larger) roller doesn't look right - much too small.

·
Registered
785 Posts
tbpmusic said:

Something about that "larger" (at least it's supposed to be larger) roller doesn't look right - much too small.
Yeah, it does look pretty bad and Stu says it looks like the wrong diameter roller too.
Evidently they are still available from Honda, mine should be here today, they said they were local at the Honda warehouse.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
fasterspider said:
tbpmusic said:

Yeah, it does look pretty bad and Stu says it looks like the wrong diameter roller too.
Evidently they are still available from Honda, mine should be here today, they said they were local at the Honda warehouse.

Well, I personally wouldn't argue with Stu about 350's (I think you mean BikeGeezer from VJMOG, right??).
That roller does look "wrong", it should be substantially larger in diameter - if the proper roller got worn down as far as your photo shows, there'd be no sign left of the center ridge......

Wow, just looked at the prices on those things - ouch !!
Where you gonna get a head gasket??

·
Registered
785 Posts
tbpmusic said:
Yeah, roller and tensioner, $110.00 plus another $90.00 for the cam chain.
The new pistons only cost me $92.52 shipped.
I bought a gasket set from ebay, hope it does the trick.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Why did you pay $90 for a cam chain?? :shock: I've seen several NOS Honda chains on Ebay lately for under $50

GB :mrgreen:

·
Registered
785 Posts
Bird76Mojo said:
Why did you pay $90 for a cam chain?? :shock: I've seen several NOS Honda chains on Ebay lately for under $50

GB :mrgreen:
Because I wanted a Honda chain, I wanted it by yesterday and I got it yesterday.
I can only put up with ebay for a few seconds now a days going there knowing already what I am going to buy.
If I look for things, I find other things that do not pertain and spend money I can't afford to spend. :roll:

·
Registered
785 Posts
What a difference.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
fasterspider said:
What a difference.
Yeah, it's easy to tell, once you have a new one in hand.
They're nice and flexible and rubbery.
By the time we get them, the rubber (if it's still intact at all) is like fossilized bakelite or something.

·
Registered
785 Posts
tbpmusic said:
fasterspider said:
What a difference.
Yeah, it's easy to tell, once you have a new one in hand.
They're nice and flexible and rubbery.
By the time we get them, the rubber (if it's still intact at all) is like fossilized bakelite or something.
The old tensioner roller is still pliable and I could have used it again instead of the new one but, why use old when new is there.
I am only waiting on the pistons to get here so I can take the cylinders to be bored. I have everything else I need to put her back together again.

·
Registered
29 Posts
fasterspider said:
tbpmusic said:
Yeah, roller and tensioner, $110.00 plus another $90.00 for the cam chain.
The new pistons only cost me $92.52 shipped.
I bought a gasket set from ebay, hope it does the trick.
Those prices are really high. I just bought the tensioner and wheel for $72 and $12 in Canadian dollars at my Honda dealer. The tensioner guide is also still available for $13. I think they get dry and brittle due to sitting around for years. Rubber should remain pliable for longer if bike is run on a regular basis due to oil circulation.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts