Honda Twins banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all,

I have a Honda CB250 from 2001 but it is starting to make a bit of noise from, i think, the cam chain.

Is it possible to adjust manually the tensioner?

Thank you!

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
The side play in the video seems a little excessive but I wouldn't be concerned really. The only possible fix would be a new cam gear and chain and it may not be any better due to the design of the gear.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Nice scar, wobbly chain, self adjusting ( ratchet system? ) tension by the looks of the metal "can" on rear of chain area........up and down play and lift of chain from sprocket, how much??

If flywheel set to "T", do marks on cam sprocket line parallel with rocker cover gasket face on head??, or do they "lean back" quite a bit ??

Not that well up to date on the "modern" cb250, a different animal to the old faithful cb's.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the Help,

The cam marks are parallel with the engine head while on TDC. The tensioner looks like it has his days counted.

Does somebody know if the tensioner is just plug-and-play or has it some kind of adjustment? Any recommendation changing it?

Thank you!

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
Looking at the parts microfiche there appears to be a pin the tensioner blade slips over at the bottom and there's a hairpin clip securing it. That means the top of the engine, head and cylinders, has to come off to replace. Looks to be an auto adjust mechanism so there's no manual means.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts