Honda Twins banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I am getting plastic teeth in my case from the cam chain assembly.

I have not been able to figure out how many of the teethed rollers in there are plastic, I know the tensioner one is, but there are 3 others in there with teeth. are they plastic or metal? anybody know? i have since freed up the tensioner so it is working correctly, but worried about the cam chain jumping...

if it is just the tensioner that is plastic then i can just replace that and all is good, if there are others, then i have to break her down and replace the other toothed plastic rollers as well and i would rather not open up the engine if i can help it just yet....

thanks for any info! and if the other ones with teeth are plastic.... were can you get them?

thanks!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Could you take a picture of your cam chain roller? I thought I had some teeth maybe broken off in my oil but it turned out to be one of the plastic rings on my intake camshaft.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
The cam chain tensioners and rollers are rubber. They become petrified with age and will look like some kind of black plastic. There are also rubber guide rings on both sides of the cam end, cam sprockets. They also will petrify with age. I don't think much can be done at the point, they are pretty much shot. I have never seen a NOS set so I don't know how hard new ones are. I do have a used ebay set for my rebuild and they are quite pliable. This site contains a lot of information on this subject. I would not run it in this condition. If you loose the cam chain a bent valve may result$$$

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
I bought the camshaft rubber rings as NOS on Ebay. I've seen them on there since as well.. The rollers are also available on Ebay as NOS. I found/bought em but it can take a while to locate and purchase them all. Your wallet will also end up a LOT lighter..

GB :mrgreen:

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
The rubber cam rings are still available from Honda too.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Bird76Mojo said:
I bought the camshaft rubber rings as NOS on Ebay. I've seen them on there since as well.. The rollers are also available on Ebay as NOS. I found/bought em but it can take a while to locate and purchase them all. Your wallet will also end up a LOT lighter..

GB :mrgreen:

that is my story for my '71 SL350-K1 trying to locate all the cam tensioner parts... the rollers are surprising hard butyl or similar rubber.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
wow, thanks for all the info. i think all the "teeth" i was finding in the oil are bits of those camshaft rings, as they have sharp corners on them, unlike the quite round teeth on the actual tensioner parts. looks like those rings are meant to cushion the camchain as it goes around the camshafts, and them being disentigrated into many little bits would explain all the little bits in the oil and the quite noticable camchain noise from the engine.

thanks for all the info. time to tear into the ol girl.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts