Honda Twins banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to replace the rusted cam chain on my 66 CB450. See a few on fleabay but how many links are required?

Also looking at a full gasket kit, will one from a 68 model work?

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
gaillarry said:
Going to replace the rusted cam chain on my 66 CB450. See a few on fleabay but how many links are required?

Also looking at a full gasket kit, will one from a 68 model work?
Ok is the gasket kit for a 68 K0 (4 speed) or K1 (5 speed)

The K0 parts book states that the chain shouls be a DK219P-128L or 219 pitch chain link and 128 links. Interesting the K1 is also a DK219-but 64L :?: strange that the K0 is 128 links and the K1 on is listed as 64 links.

But any way 128 links is correct for both the K0 and K1 onwards. :D

Rod from OZ :cool:

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
gaillarry said:
Thanks for the quick response, just ordered them.
Gaskets???? I'm not sure "BUT" i believe there is a difference between the K0 and K1-5 gasket sets.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
otr002 said:
gaillarry said:
Thanks for the quick response, just ordered them.
Gaskets???? I'm not sure "BUT" i believe there is a difference between the K0 and K1-5 gasket sets.

Too late now just got a complete set for $40 (Cdn) Some of the gaskets will be useful. It has the valve guide seals which I believe are hard to find.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Re: Cam Chain - Number of Links - Ping Gamd5 (Chris)

With the exception of the right crankcase cover, the gaskets are the same on 4-speeds and 5-speeds.
I believe the 4-speed has a slightly different screw pattern on that gasket, or maybe it doesn't use the knock pins (don't quite remember) - though I think Chris (Gamd5) is the guy to answer that..........

·
Premium Member
1,374 Posts
Well Bill my memory is fading a bit as well.We discussed here fairly recently how to visually tell the difference between a 4 speed(Shall I put KO :D ) and 5 speed K1 models .(Ithink I put some pictures up).The right hand casing has 'ribs' around the kickstart area on K0's :D but the K1's are completley smooth casings in that area. I inadvertantly fitted a right hand K1 casing onto one of my K0's :D before I found this out and I still have to change it which I will get around to one day.So the holes do line up but I cannot remember about the dowells either.(May spur me on to find out.)
Just out of interest you can fit a K1 head onto a K0 bottom end providing you use K1 pistons as the inlet valves are larger and would hit the K0 pistons.I've done this previously but and if I remember right the camchain although the same pitch needs to be 1 link longer.I used the K1 carbs as well but in all honesty I couldn't tell any difference in performance.May be of interest to anyone who can't find a decent K0 head. Regards Chris

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Thanks Chris -

I did remember correctly then, that the screw pattern on the right clutch cover was the same - I don't think the K0 had the knock pins though (but my memory may fail there). But some quick work with a hole punch would solve that.

In that case then, gaskets from a K0 and the 5-speed models would interchange, with the single exception just mentioned.......

Probably the seals as well - and many of the seals are used on other models besides the 450, so there are options there too......

As far as the cam chain - 64 is exactly half of 128, so I think it may be a matter of counting entire links, as opposed to counting pins maybe???

1 - 8 of 8 Posts