Honda Twins banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy,
I'm working on rebuilding a '72 cl350- making a list for what I need to replace before I start putting the engine back together. One of the plates in the cam chain bent and popped off when I was moving the engine a few weeks ago, which makes me think the plate wasn't on there properly to begin with. I counted the links, there were 96. I read somewhere that there should be 92? Can anyone confirm? Unfortunately, the shop manual leaves details like this out.

The chain was new when I got the bike/ hadn't been ridden much since the PO installed it. If I can shorten the chain to the proper length, that'd be preferred over getting a new one. Regardless, if I'm going to have to get a new endless chain, I'll need to know how many links to use so thought I'd check if there's a standard for the chain length.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Go here (link below) to verify part number and info about the cam chain, then do a search for the part number to find a better price. 4into1.com has the OEM DID for $55 and one from EK for $31. David Silver Spares has one listed as a DID for $42. There isn't enough slack in a cam chain to remove links, it's made to fit specifically and to allow for the small amount of movement to assemble the top end and still allow tension adjustment later. Personally, I'd use the DID chain. Can't imagine how a link got bent, certainly wouldn't trust a chain that had been damaged in an engine capable of close to 10k rpm

https://www.cmsnl.com/honda-cl350-scrambler-1972-k4-usa_model549/14401-410-003-chain_14401286003/

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Never seen number-of-links info for a 350 chain - they're designed as a one-piece, to be installed with the crank removed (no master link).
Many of us do break them and use a 450 master.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts