Honda Twins banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got it installed on my '70 cb450 but how tight is it supposed to be without the cam chain tensioner in place. I was barely able to get the master link installed the thing was so tight. Cams are timed right (at least i'm pretty sure). Do the marks on the cams and bearings have to line up perfectly? I've got one thats about 2mm off the timing line and one thats dead on. Next is trying to find a good way of swagging the master link pins to keep the thing on. Don't want to go out and buy a chain tool and just break it cause the pins are so damn hard.

·
Sensei
27,163 Posts
BOTH indexes MUST be aligned...2mm is too far off........

·
Registered
175 Posts
mine don't line up perfectly but parts of the marks overlap. 2mm is a whopping big misalignment but not as much as a tooth off. Are you doing this with the tensioner in? The chain is tight anyway; putting the timing chain on these is a pain in the ass. I have a broken truck torsion bar; I get someone to hold the butt end of it against the end of the link so I can mash the other end. and it's not something that peens easily. I've broken the pin on a chain tool trying to do it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts