Honda Twins banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have or know where to get new cam bolts? I am rebuilding a 1973 cb350 twin and I think (I am out of ideas) that one of my bolts is bent. Long story short, I had Delta Cam regrind my cam, when I got it back and was tightening the sprocket on with the original bolts (to 12 ft/lbs) before I even got to torque the tab on the cam cracked. I checked the sprocket for any issues and didn't see anything. I bought a used cam (Core, sprocket, bolts) off ebay, sent it out to Delta Cams to get reground. When I got it back, I was putting the sprocket on (with I believe my original bolts and sprocket (better condition)) the tab on the cam cracked (I almost cried). So now that I am on my 3rd cam, I am not taking any chances and want to try with fresh bolts a) can someone point me in the right direction, b) has anyone seen that before?

·
Registered
826 Posts
One of the bolts is a special shoulder bolt. If you put it in the wrong hole you will crack the camshaft.... every time.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Either the cam was already fractured or you are very unlucky.

NOS parts on ebay, search for 90081-312-00 and 90085-312-000

I use a 1/4 drive torque wrench set to inch pounds ... so 144 or so inch pounds. If you are using a 3/8 drive torque wrench set to foot pounds you are probably out of range.

I use red loctite on my installs.

·
Registered
826 Posts
I have seen a fractured cam at that location tig welded. I does take someone with knowledge and skill to do it properly.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Good reading ....

·
Registered
826 Posts
You may also want to do a google search of "Honda CB350 Delta Cam" .... there have been reports of the personnel changing at Delta and there being issues.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You may also want to do a google search of "Honda CB350 Delta Cam" .... there have been reports of the personnel changing at Delta and there being issues.
Thanks for all the replies and help. good idea using the 1/4" torque and I will look on ebay to try and find some fresh bolts. I talked to a couple engine builders and even megacycle and they didn't like the idea of trying to weld the cam core on the tab. I believe the ownership at delta cam changed over the last year or so

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Either the cam was already fractured or you are very unlucky.

NOS parts on ebay, search for 90081-312-00 and 90085-312-000

I use a 1/4 drive torque wrench set to inch pounds ... so 144 or so inch pounds. If you are using a 3/8 drive torque wrench set to foot pounds you are probably out of range.

I use red loctite on my installs.
Do you know what the NOS number is for the cam sprocket? I also want to make sure my sprocket is a direct match for my cam

·
Registered
826 Posts
I'm assuming with a K5 engine that you have a skinny cam .... 14321-312-010 is the cam gear for it.

The gear for the fat cam has a larger center opening. Both gears are a close fit on their respective cams, you wouldn't mistake one for the other.

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
12 ft-lbs? Where did you get this spec? 6mm bolts are only supposed to torque to 6-7 ft-lbs. I have never used a torque wrench on cam sprocket bolts. I use medium strength Loctite and just tighten them down with a 1/4" drive ratchet. Never had any come loose or cracked a tab off.
TOOLS

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
12 ft-lbs? Where did you get this spec? 6mm bolts are only supposed to torque to 6-7 ft-lbs. I have never used a torque wrench on cam sprocket bolts. I use medium strength Loctite and just tighten them down with a 1/4" drive ratchet. Never had any come loose or cracked a tab off.
TOOLS
That was what was in the service manual

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I'm assuming with a K5 engine that you have a skinny cam .... 14321-312-010 is the cam gear for it.

The gear for the fat cam has a larger center opening. Both gears are a close fit on their respective cams, you wouldn't mistake one for the other.
yes it is the k5 engine... I always assumed the bike was the 350G supersport but I could be wrong?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts