Honda Twins banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the past I had no problem with their stuff, but a couple years back, before our Honda shop closed I got a clutch cable for my CB900F That broke almost immediately (which of course they replaced), but they also sold me a drive chain, same thing, broke nearly immediately and I had to buy a 2nd master link to get by and it didn't break before I sold the bike). Anyway I have had to live with my rich running/bad mileage issues cuz my car is fully down. It's COLD< below freezing, but my clutch cable snapped and the Honda shop next town over wants over $50 for a PU cable! I could get it at Bike Bandit for $14.95, but I don't trust them anymore and sprang for an on sale $15.95 Motion Pro clutch cable. I've never bought Motion Pro anything tilll I got some tire irons. They were simple, less than $10 but seem high quality and worked just fine wrestling my new Shinko 712 up front, and hopefully on back soon.

Anyway yeah, dead cold (30F) and two broke cars and a bike with a dead clutch cable. Lucky I had a cable close enough I was able to rig something temporary, but my cable came last night, have to install it before going to work (or I may wait till after since it works for now). Sucks to only have a bike, but having aq bike and being good enough to ride in such weather is something to be grateful for too. Could be dw=own to my (albeit very nice) bicycle!

Just curious people's experience with cable and drive chains and such, cuz I'm poor and PU is cheap, but I am beginning not to trust the brand? When you have to order everything by mail, you wanna spring for the extra few bucks for quality, saves money and headache in the long run.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Quick question .... are you lubing the cable before putting it into use?

I haven't had any issues with cables from any supplier and have run the Parts Unlimited chains as well without issue.

·
Premium Member
5,550 Posts
On the contrary, Some Motion Pro cables are a bit short for some models. For certain on 360/350 they cause the clutch actuator to be in a half pulled state that makes them a bear to adjust.

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
The Motion Pro cables I gotten for the CB/CM 400's have all been too long, I've had to shorten them to the adjuster would work right. Parts Unlimited has been good for fit and only one broke at the lever end after 1 month.

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
Most broken cables I've seen are broken at the upper end, usually because of the barrel end binding in the lever. A drop of oil applied in the lever hole works wonders.

Reactions: ancientdad
1 - 6 of 6 Posts