Honda Twins banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got to the point of starting my 1964 CA95, which was stored for 20+ years. I've done the typical, gas tank cleaning, peacock rebuild, carb rebuilt, new plugs, etc. The starter isn't working yet, but bike starts right up with one kick and the choke lever down about 1/5 of the way. The bike idles fine for 5 seconds, then abruptly goes WOT, and stalls. Making adjustments to the air adjustment screw or idle adjustment has no affect. I can close the air adjustment screw all the way in and get pretty much the same results. I also get kind of white smoke from the exhausts. Being a new to bikes guy, I'm not sure why I get this sudden surge. The carb seems to be providing an overly generous amount of fuel after 5 seconds of idle. After searching around here for a while, I haven't come up with a solution. Any suggestions? Thx.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Check that the carb is evenly tightened down. On your bike you have the manifold that attaches to the head that the carb is fastened to. Check those (carb to manifold)first as you can't check them w carb on engine.

Spray carb cleaner or WD40 around carb while bike is running. Note any change. You are looking for an air leak.

Did you have it running properly before you worked on the carb?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thx Ken, I'll double check the slide, but believe I had it slotted properly and moving properly.

Jack, This bike has't run for 25+ years, and as usual on these old projects, has lots of old gas left in it. So I've only started the project to get it up and running. I'll try your the things you mention. Thx

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Finally realized when I put the carb back, the metal adjustment sleeve in the middle of the throttle cable had come undone\kinked. Effect was probably the WOT after startup. Rookie mistake there. Starts better now, but still a high (MUCH lower than before) but consistent rev. Giving it throttle now has no effect, so probably need to clean throttle cable? I've seen threads on cleaning the throttle cable sheath, lubing, etc. Something new to figure out now. Good thing it's still winter in New England!

One question for the bike experts here. I get white smoke from both exhausts. Is that a possible sign of engine trouble?

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
White smoke, especially when the engine is not up to operating temperature, could be moisture condensation. When you get the bike on the road and get it warm it may well go away.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I had this same problem when getting my CL175 going. First problem I had was the when the tank was installed, it was pinching the throttle cable. So the throttle slides were 1/2 and 1/3 open at all times. Now I always check the slides before and after installing the tank, to make sure the carbs are still in sync.

Second problem I had was I accidentally installed the wrong jets when i rebuilt the carbs. I think it was just my bad eyes, but I don't really know why I did that.

I was having the same problem, firs it would idle up and down all over the place, and throttle had no effect. That was the slides. Then I fixed that and had the second problem, starts up and idles WAY!!!! Up then dies. That was due to the jets. Now that those are both sorted out it's running fine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts