Honda Twins banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I just picked up a 65 CA95 that appears nearly complete but clearly has been stored with fuel in the tank. Started a vinegar cleaning and found it leaking out of the botttom. Right side is pretty well eaten away. I want to keep original parts and patina wherever possible. Seems a bit far gone for solder so thinking I may need to weld a sheet metal patch. Any recommendations for best/permanent repair method?
Automotive lighting Jaw Wood Fish Red

·
Registered
42 Posts
Oof. He's dead, Jim.

I honestly believe the only way out of that one is to cut out the entire bottom and TIG a new piece back into place.

On my little CL125, I had just a couple of tiny pin holes which I repaired with JB Weld. But your tank is just gone, unfortunately.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, I think it's time to brush the dust off my TIG machine. On the plus side, it appears the major rust issues seem to be on the bottoms only, so I'll cut the worst sections out and take a look inside. That should make it easier to derust the tank prior to welding and hopefully let me preserve the original paint on the rest of the tank.

·
Registered
14 Posts
new sectio
Yes, I think it's time to brush the dust off my TIG machine. On the plus side, it appears the major rust issues seem to be on the bottoms only, so I'll cut the worst sections out and take a look inside. That should make it easier to derust the tank prior to welding and hopefully let me preserve the original paint on the rest of the tank.
new section required,i wouldnt use galvanized,rubbish to weld!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts