Honda Twins banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an opportunity to buy a CA95, non-running moderate/rough shape. The owner is asking $500 if I recall but I think I can get it for less. The owner is heavily involved in a motorcycle dealership and knows the more modern stuff but I don't think his heart/desire is into the old Hondas. Anyway, one of the problems he's having is finding the proper screw to hold the fuel petcock in place. I looked the screw today and it's a 5mm screw but seems to have an odd pitch to it. Can anyone tell me if there was something different about these petcock screws?

I've also been offered the opportunity to buy a Honda NC30 with an NC35 chassis included. The NC30 (VFR400R) is in pretty good condition but I have to verify it runs first. I might be able to get a joint deal so depending on my NC30 research I might not be able to pass it up, sell the NC30 at a profit and have a left over CA95.

Here is my problem, the NC30 is a really cool bike and I'd love to have one in the garage. :)

Mike

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
Mike,
The CA is from the pre-ISO era and has several "odd pitch" fasteners on it (JIS usually).... IF you can't source replacement hardware, it's nothing a bit of braze and a modern tap/die set won't fix......... :D Steve

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
66Sprint said:
Mike,
The CA is from the pre-ISO era and has several "odd pitch" fasteners on it (JIS usually).... IF you can't source replacement hardware, it's nothing a bit of braze and a modern tap/die set won't fix......... :D Steve

I thought you'd probably know Steve. As soon as you mentioned JIS it came back to me. I don't have a lot of experience but I've had enough to know that they are a pain and that many people just sort of "forced the issue".

Thanks for the reminder.

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
Yes, MANY frustrated people forced ISO threads into the JIS holes/bolts and ruined both... It is quite a common event on the early 60's bikes......

1 - 4 of 4 Posts