Honda Twins banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can I use one of those sealed AGM batteries like are used for battery back up lights, computers, etc. in my bike? It fits in the space and the voltage-6- and amps-10ah appears to be OK--.

My concern is are the connections robust enough? Seems like one push on the electric starter would fry them. I could hook it up without the starter wire if I need to while waiting for the proper battery to come---those are getting pricey and very hard to find anymore.

Before now my experience has been that the CA95 would kick start and run with a dead or no battery, but that does not seem the case on this bike. The key may have gotten left on a couple days ago and the battery is totally dead. No spark when kicking at all. Hope it didn't fry my coil. Just this Saturday I put in the newly charged proper battery (JA 3) and it started after sitting all winter on the 3rd kick and ran great. Today, nothing.....

Thank you for your help!

·
Sensei
27,173 Posts
If you are discussing the batteries with the spade lug connections (emergency "EXIT" lighting, etc) I would concur it will RUN the bike but NOT the e-start ....
My concern would be Recharging Rate and I believe the bike would "cook" them

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
66 Sprint- yes, the battery with the spade connection. I hooked one that I have for another bike up(omitting e starter wire) and it started on first kick. I have used that battery on my Jawa 250 for years.

Do you happen to know, or know where to find, the generator output- I doubt if it is more than the 10 ma that the battery is. If I put a meter on the battery with it hooked up and the bike running can I check it that way? What would be a good number (it is 6 volt)?

Thank you!
Jack

·
Sensei
27,173 Posts
The CB-100 singles put out 6V 50W @ 5K rpm...(to recharge a 6V 6Ah battery), so I'd expect it to be higher than that for the CA 95 with its 6V 10Ah battery.....
I'll wager you can get ~8.8V AC out of the pairs of alternator wires (unplugged from harness) @ 5K RPM or higher.......That's maybe 7.7 VDC peak @ the battery.......
90 Watts is the figure you get for generation using 6V and 15A (fuse) into Ohms law calculations....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts