Honda Twins banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Day All,

I am hopeful another enthusiast has the following information for me. I recently was trouble shooting electrical issues, i believe may have to do with my 5 way ignition switch. In a "not so smart" move i decided to take the ignition switch apart. I'm sure anyone who has done this knows what happened next!?! I did however anticipate that parts would be spring loaded and managed to set myself up in a way to contain all the moving parts, once they sprung loose.
Here is my issue. I did manage to get it back together. However, i don't think i have the three triangular contact points in the proper orientation??.....(as it came apart and they fell out). I can't get this switch working at all now.
(when i started this fiasco, it actually worked in the daytime running position only)

To get this amateur out of a bind.....Does anyone have a diagram or photo or specific knowledge that can help me to orient the contacts properly.

I humbly ask for help or any expertise

Thank You all....
Paul

·
Super Moderator
23,089 Posts
I have doubts anyone has this info. Let's assume that's right. So first diagram what each switch position does. Then diagram/photo the contact plate in each position and the corresponding contact positions. You'll probably need to use the wiring diagram as well. There's enough brains here that I'm pretty sure we can solve this.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good Day Jim and Tom....
I truly appreciate your responses, and i could almost see the grin on your faces, as to making such a dumb move. However, with your suggestion Jim.....I worked my way through the schematic and key switching diagram, and made a template from clear acetate which replicated the rotary positions on the bakelite surface of the switch. In doing so, i was able to visually see all 7 wire locations (which i previously identified from the schematic and switch diagram). With that, i rotated the key to each position to see which contacts would be closed or open. In very short order i figured out that one of the triangular contacts was in backwards. NOTE: If anyone tries this it is very effective and straight forward, however.....make sure you hold down your acetate template when you turn the key as it lifts the whole mechanism and really creates a mess (also found this out the hard way!!)
Unfortunately, in my excitement to fixing
the issue, i didn't take a photo when it was apart!!!!....Its currently all sealed back up and in the bike..

So thanks for your guidance gents....very much appreciated...

BTW....Here's a picture of my hotrod......She was in very bad shape when i found her with a blown motor. I decided to not go with original and try my hand at a bobber look.

She does turn heads and is a complete blast to rip around town....

Thanks again guys...
Stay safe in these times

Paul
Sault Ste. Marie Ontario, Canada

·
Super Moderator
11,002 Posts
Paul, I have 2 thoughts... first, it's great that you went bobber-lite and did not chop off the fenders - it looks great, and very nice work overall. The second thought is the only thing I don't care for personally, the wrapped pipes... but it does not detract from the great effort you've put into it. Good job, and it's cool to have something that turns heads, isn't it? :p

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Tom....truly appreciate the honest feedback.

The pipe wrapping was an afterthought, as they were rusted / corroded pretty bad. I hand rubbed out most of the chrome and aluminum on the bike and it all came back nice. Took many hours....but that's the fun right! The pipes....not so much?? I think it had to do with the hot and cold cycles or something? The old chrome would not come around?.
Agreed tho....wrapping isn't for everyone....but i think its kinda cool. I've since added flat black trumpet exhausts....they have a nice low drone......kinda funny coming from a 150cc!!! It really fools people that have no idea about these bikes. Most are often surprised when i tell them its only a 150.

On the fenders.....I would NEVER think of cutting them!......In my opinion they accentuate the great lines of the bike! I love the curved backbone lines of the Dream series and the fenders definitely help that out. Ole Soichiro had a flare for design.
I will say....I hate the original big two person seat and 'up' handle bars......but i suppose they had there purpose then.
I used a set of flat track bike bars i had from "back in the day". I always knew i find a use for them!!

Thanks again Tom.....you helped me out earlier in this project as well....(last year)

All the best...Stay safe...
Paul

·
Super Moderator
23,089 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts