Honda Twins banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Me again

Does anyone know whether there's a steering bearing kit for the CA? I'm looking for a kit because a) mine are shot (I've not seen races with the sort of pitting I'm looking at now) and b) the parts diagram is dreadful:

honda-ca77-1960-1961-1962-1963-1964i-1964ii-1964iii-dream-usa-142592-f-5-front-fork-front-fender.jpg

According to this picture, not only are there no race cups that have an interference fit in the frame, there are no ball bearings, either. Having pulled one apart, I know neither of those things is true. David Silvers weren't able to help - they basically use the same diagrams.

I was hoping they'd be the same as the CL77 (knowing they were manufactured at the same time) but the lower bearing/race is very different. The CL has a much thicker lower steering stem.

So what does everyone else do for steering stem bearings? Any suggestions or anyone know of other bikes these races were shared with (other than the CA72 which seems to have a very similar, useless fiche diagram)?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I'll kinda answer my own question for the benefit of anyone else who has the same trouble as I did . . .

. . . the diagram is crap because in their infinite wisdom, Honda decided to split the steering head bearing parts over two diagrams. The interference fit cups I was talking about (and the ball bearings for that matter) are shown on the frame fiche diagram:

That's helpful . . . said no-one.

Guess I'll just order the component parts then . . .

·
Sensei
27,173 Posts
Beat you to posting by a couple minutes, but you probably had discovered the truth by then yourself.....

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yup, we must've been furiously typing away at the same time . . .

Thanks anyways.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts