Honda Twins banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
How do

The rear shocks that came with the CA look very shabby - in particular, the chrome is pitted and scruffy to the point where I need to get them redone. There's a very good chance I'll have the bike ready before the chrome (I'm still trying to find a reliable plater who doesn't take six months). And given my findings when I pulled the front shocks apart, I strongly suspect the internals will be very tired.

Quite apart from the disassembly process - which I'm still not entirely sure I understand - I was wondering what other folks do for rear shocks when the standard ones either give up the ghost or need to be substituted out? For anyone who's done that sort of thing, what shock length did you go for and were there any other considerations you had to work with/around?

Thanks in advance

Neil

·
Registered
287 Posts
Did you ever figure anything out ? I too am looking at my rear shocks. Cosmetically, they're pretty good. Riding reminds one of a pogo-stick ! There was quite a detailed thread on the other site about re-building them ( I believe the fellow is in the UK), but it requires machinist skills, etc. I'm considering buying a set off fleabay, and taking a stab at rebuilding them. Also wondered if any new shocks could be dressed up with original trim....

P.S. Are the rear shocks for the baby dream the same as the ca77 ? Anyone ? They're not asking as high a price for them on fleabay.

·
Super Moderator
9,752 Posts
P.S. Are the rear shocks for the baby dream the same as the ca77 ?
I don't know it for sure, but the weight difference between them would indicate to me that the spring rate on the smaller Dream might be too light for the weight of the CA77

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Did you ever figure anything out?
Unfortunately not . . . yet. Been focusing on other things - like rebuilding the speedo - whilst hoping something, um, springs to mind. Like you, I was wondering whether shocks from different models from around the same time would work, but it's hard to come by any sort of comparison data. The best I can do on the Baby Dream front is point out that the units (and their internals) are different part numbers, which suggests they're physically different. Whether they're interchangeable, I don't know - you'd have to check both the length and the eye diameters. From a functionality point of view, I'd imagine they'd be just about OK, but they'd be heading toward the limit of their capacity when the bike's ridden by a small-ish person.

Since I'm in the UK, I may well end up ringing Hagon and asking them what they can do. I know their stock shock parts include upper and lower shrouds (although they're cylindrical and not rectangular section) and so they might be able to put something together. But I've got some other bits to finish first on the '77 - like the seat - so progress may be slow unless I have a brainwave. I also need some expensive bits for another bike I'm building (XL350) which may delay any 'custom' part purchases.

Shame about the Baby Dream shocks - CMS are showing at least one (albeit imperfect) NOS unit in stock . . . perhaps more surprisingly, I put the part number for the '77 shocks into David Silver's site and they reckon they can still order them. Suffice it to say they're not cheap.

·
Registered
287 Posts
So I bought those baby dream shocks. Just as I thought, zero damping. So I'm going to take a stab at re building these. Then if successful, rebuild the ones on the bike.
There was a good thread about it, but I can't remember wether it was here or over at 305. Meh.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pretty sure it was over on 305, but if it's the thread I'm thinking of, I found it to be lacking in detail on how to open the shrouds up.

I'm still mystified as to how to get inside and access the nut that secures the eye end to the slider. I assume you need to build a frame with plates at each end but I really don't know.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Finally gave in and ordered a set from Hagon. Black upper shrouds and polished stainless lowers. No photos just yet, but they don't look out of place.

Two issues with them. The first is that the upper shroud is a bit too long, and so they look a little top heavy. Trimming the tops down by about an inch would make them look a bit better balanced (more even distribution of black and silver).

The second - and a bit more awkward - is that the eyes at each end are narrower than the originals by about 6mm. It seems the original eye mount sizes are non-standard, which means that with the new ones mounted, there's now 6mm space on the frame pins and lower mounting bolt for the shocks to slide sideways on. That's something I'm not particularly comfortable with and I'm going to have to find some sort of spacers to take up that slack before I do any riding.

Any suggestions on what to use for spacers gratefully received. They don't have to be particularly strong because there's not likely to be a huge amount of lateral pressure. I'd just like to be absolutely sure the eyes don't slide about unnecessarily.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts