Honda Twins banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
after replacing battery, plugs and plug wires on the ca77 still is not getting spark. any sugestions for servicing/reaching the condenser? also looking for a method to check the coil.
is there anything else that I might be overlooking in trying to get a spark?
thanks in advance for any sugestions.

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
The most common electrical problem is a bad battery... The second most common is a bad (corroded) ground connection... The third, any other connection being corroded or loose...

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Brand new good battery reading 13.8 V.

I cleaned the connections at the battery, are you referring to the ground on the frame? I visually checked that for corrosion but didn't take it off so thats one possibility. Also I guess I should recheck all connections involving ignition circuit.

Do you guys have any suggestions for inspecting the condenser? Its mounted on top of the valve cover under need the unibody frame and seemingly impossible to get to without dropping the engine am I missing something?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
As Bill mentioned, do you have 12v at the points when you turn the key on? If so make sure the points are closed, remove the plug then manually open the points to see if you get a single spark at the plug.

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
Bad High tension wires or bad plug 'boots"... The latter is quite common... Pull the boot and see if you can get spark from the bare wire ( stick a 3d nail or sewing needle in if necessary...) The condenser has more to do with preventing point damage than actual firing... Unless it's shorted...unplug it....

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
......what 66Sprint said. If you pull the plug cap and use the same manual method while holding the "nail" about 1/8" from an engine fin or other ground (after unplugging the condensor wire), then you might have a bad coil.

I'm putting my money on a bad wire or plug cap at this point. I've been know to be wrong though. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts