Honda Twins banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newbee working on his first project bike a 1966 CA160, so please forgive my ignorance. Got the bike out of a barn with no ignition key. The ignition is a 5 way with what I think is Start, Stop, Daytime Running, Nighttime Running and Night Tail Light. There is a serial number on the ignition (I'm assuming that a key can be made from this number). The question I have is
1. Can I indeed get a new key made with this serial number, and/or
2. Can I route the ignition wires such that I can test the bike for spark and potentially start it before investing in a new/used ignition switch?

Any advice is much appreciated.

·
Registered
3,240 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Connect a wire from the positive battery terminal to one of the black wires, wherever it's convenient, brake light switch, horn, or inside the headlight(neutral light socket). Some info here on the 5 position switch: Well, I’ll be switched... vintage Honda ignition switches explained.
Mike, thanks for the info. This article is very helpful. I was able to obtain a new key (the key code is stamped on the ignition switch). I found a key maker online at Ebay. Service was excellent. The new key arrived and works, so I'll reinstall the switch and connections and see if I can get a spark. If so, I'll look to fire the bike up this week and see exactly what I'm working with. Thanks again for the response. I'm sure I'll be posting a lot more as I get further into this project. Seems tracking down certain parts is going to be a challenge.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts