Honda Twins banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
LOOKING TO BUY NEW RIMS..

lookin at gettin some Excel Aluminum rims for my 72 CB350 Twin...

To get it "Stock" I want:

FRONT: 19x185

REAR: 19x215

Correct?

Thanks

·
Registered
165 Posts
Both my CB 350 rims are 1.85 X 18" (not 19", although most CL's had 19" fronts)
A 2.15 rear would probably be OK if you intend a wider tire (watch chain clearance though)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Digger said:
Both my CB 350 rims are 1.85 X 18" (not 19", although most CL's had 19" fronts)
Thanks, Im confused on the 1.85 part....is that the ID like the bead? correct? or OD

Thanks, My wheels are franken wheels then bc both are 19" and the rear is wider... :?

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
I shouldn't reply since I don't know for sure, but DONT order those rims yet until you find out for sure what sizes you want/need-
I'm pretty sure the stock rims were 1.60 x 18 front and 1.85 x 18 rear,(that's 18 not 19) I'm sure there are plenty of folks here who know for sure though.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
gs1327 said:
Wow I type slow..................
lol....Thanks guys..

Well, I dont really care if they are stock or not..just figured i had stock wheels and they fit so yeah. my rear is wider than my front.. Im relacing etc. I havent ridden the bike yet so a change in wheel size isnt a big deal.

What would you all recommend?

BOTH: 19 or 18x1.85 36 spoke.

19 or 18x185 in front and 215 in rear?

I want 36 spokes correct? i think thats the most they offer.

Anyway, with the size, what looks the most appealing? ;)

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
Appropriate rim width is determined by TIRE sizing...... Check the tire manufacturers' sites for tire size vs rim width acceptabilities.....

Yes, the 350's use 36 spokers... the 450's and up (Hondas) run 40 spokers.... A 650 Yamaha has 36 spoke wheels.....(but heavier gauge spokes)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
66Sprint said:
Appropriate rim width is determined by TIRE sizing...... Check the tire manufacturers' sites for tire size vs rim width acceptabilities.....

Yes, the 350's use 36 spokers... the 450's and up (Hondas) run 40 spokers.... A 650 Yamaha has 36 spoke wheels.....(but heavier gauge spokes)
Thanks...New tires will be coming later... Ide rather get the wheels done then look for new tires. :D

So i guess if you were starting with no wheels. what would look the most appealing, if there isnt much difference in riding characteristics. (from the above mentioned)

Would it be appropriate to run 18x185 in front AND back? or is back always wider?

Sorry, im kinda lossed when it comes to wheels, been tryin to search!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Going bigger (to 19) on both ends would simply raise the entire bike (assuming the tire sizes remain at their current sizes/sizing difference.... However, IF you intend to get a wider rear tire, it will also be taller, and a original tire size X 19 front might look good with a wider 18 rear......
You need to decide on what profile tires and their widths, then get appropriate rim widths for them laced up....... BUT, before that, Chain, fork, swingarm, fender and stand clearances ALL need to be taken into account before deciding on tire size....You're approaching this backwards by just buying rims for "look".... Safety is the key issue with wheels/tires....

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
Rim size (diameter and width) is stamped into the original rims..... start out knowing what that actually is.....

·
Premium Member
7,865 Posts
the stock size rims for the CBs are 1.60" x 18 front and 1.85" x 18 rear.
(the CL came with a 1.60" x 19 front FYI)

As for what size rim you go back with...the most important question to answer first is what tires do you want to run. After you figure the tire question out, then go back with the rim size recommended by the tire maker for that tire.

the big choice will be...do you want to run older style tires for the aesthetic or new style tires for the performane? if you want older style tires then go with the stock size rims.

If you want new style higher performance tires I would recommend running a 2.15 x 18 front and either a 2.15 or 2.50 x 18 rear.

I've tried a lot of tires on my cb350s and find that I like the Avon RoadRiders the best...it's all I run now. I run an Avon Roadrider 90-90-18 on the front (2.15 x 18 rim) and an Avon roadRider 110-80-18 rear (2.50x18 rim) there are absolutely no clearance problems with this combination, in fact they aren't really any wider than the OEM tires because the profile is completely different. By the way, the same size Avon rear tire will also work on a 2.15 x 18 rear rim as well. Avon's web site gives a range of rim sizes that their tires will work on and then also gives their ideal size which is in this case the 2.50" x18

Reactions: Knoxes

·
Registered
659 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts