Honda Twins banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My buddy and I had been talking about doing a long ride for the past few months but every time we planned it something would come up and it got pushed back. Finally, the stars aligned and the weather broke here in central Texas and the ride was on.

Bill started from the Fort Worth, TX area and came down to pick me up near Austin, TX around 1500. We got a late start but that's OK.

Bill was on his Yamaha FJR1300 and we swapped bikes once for a couple of hours. The FJR runs like a sewing machine and pulls like a freight train. For a big bike it handles great. It's not like our endurance race bike (we're team mates) but certainly quick and agile enough for a spirited street ride.

On the way into El Paso about 0100 I decided to see what the Gold Wing would do on I-10. I took off past Bill and it was all he could do to keep from being sucked into my vortex. :) Maybe it was the high desert altitude, maybe it was the big ol Windjammer fairing pushing the wind, maybe it was the 50 rear wheel hp available to me or maybe it was all three.....but the got to about 6200 rpm and it wouldn't move another tick. I suppose I could have dropped into 4th and gotten another 5 mph or so but the GPS certified official top speed of the Gold Wing on this road, on this night was 101 mph. :)

In the hills north of El Paso on our way to Calabasas, NM the roads were smooth and winding. If I had something capable, it would have been a great time stretch the legs and really enjoy the sweeping high speed turns that were available. But, alas, 4 gear and WOT was what it took to keep up with the FJR at 80 mph. At the next stop Bill apologized for taking it easy but he was enjoying the scenery. I told him I enjoyed the scenery as well and it's a good thing because that's all we had to offer in that section.

With the Corbin seat the Gold Wing was every bit as comfortable as the FJR so endurance was not a problem. I finished my 1000 miles stint in 23:50 after a 6 hour stop and and about 5 hours sleep at 0300 in the morning. At 33 hours I pulled into the driveway with the GPS showing 1508 miles.

The FJR had a 6 gallon tank and was getting over 40 mpg while my 4 gallon (until reserve) tank and 31 mpg forced us to stop every 1.5 hours or 130 miles for fuel so I was the limiting factor in keeping the pace up.

Actually, it was a lot of fun and we had a great time. It sounded like a great idea when we started but, at the end when we parted ways in Ft. Worth, we were asking ourselves, "why are we doing this again? Does a certificate and license plate frame seem like a good reason?"

"Of course it does", we both replied in unison.

The start. Bill already had about 176 miles under his belt by this time.

On the road in West Texas

The route....

·
Registered
608 Posts
I was silly enough to do it twice, 1000 miles around the edge of of Iowa

Attachments

·
Registered
83 Posts
Awesome!! Congrats! I've done a few Iron Butt rides on my little FZ6 and it was a blast.

Certification takes 3-6 months, but the license plate is worth it :D

One of my big goals is to attempt a Saddlesore 1000 on my CL-350 (after a complete top-end rebuild of course).

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
D-Mac said:
Awesome!! Congrats! I've done a few Iron Butt rides on my little FZ6 and it was a blast.

Certification takes 3-6 months, but the license plate is worth it :D

One of my big goals is to attempt a Saddlesore 1000 on my CL-350 (after a complete top-end rebuild of course).
Doing a 1000/24 would definitely qualify you for "Saddle Sore". I wouldn't even attempt it on my CL350.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Wow, nice work, Mike. I may be young/dumb enough to try this on my 360 once I get it all sorted out :)

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Mike,

I am sorry I missed this thread when you posted it earlier.

Great post. Does anyone think a ride report section would be enjoyable?

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
HerrDeacon said:
JeyLux said:
Great post. Does anyone think a ride report section would be enjoyable?
I for one would like it. I love reading about rides like this, especially when they come equipped with pictures. :D

I too like to read them, but would anyone be up to the task of writing one? (besides Mike...)

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Bird76Mojo said:
If you build it they will come....

GB :lol:

and done....

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
JeyLux said:
Bird76Mojo said:
If you build it they will come....

GB :lol:

and done....
I used to write long winded Endurance and Sprint race report a couple of years ago but, at least on the 350, I doubt I'm going to be doing any long distance trips. With my old butt, I'm stuggling after about an hour. That's a good thing too, since my fuel tank is only good for about 1 1/2 hours. :)

However, if there is a place to put such long winded diatribes, I will do my best to subscribe and contribute. Although, this is probably not the best time to solicit ride reports. :lol:

·
Registered
175 Posts
Back in my college days - 1968, I believe - I took a BSA Hornet from the Bronx to Daytona and on to Key West in early March and rode it back from Key Biscayne to the Bronx (about 1400 miles) straight through in mid April. I was sort of starting to hallucinate by the time I was going through New Jersey after about 24 hours, cold, without sleep and bucking some not-very-nice weather. I don't think you got any particular recognition for riding a thousand miles back then. I looked like a raccoon in reverse, suntan and road dirt except what the goggles covered. No mechanical problems, despite the reputation of Brit bikes, but the Hornet was manufactured as a racing machine and hardly even had an electrical system. No battery, no ignition switch and a few feet of wire - that was it. Not even a speedometer - or even the drive for one. I haven't done much more than about three hundred miles (on a CB500T now) in a day for a long time, but I've been thinking of the possibility of some longer trips when I have more time and fewer responsibilities in the future.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts