Honda Twins banner
1 - 20 of 172 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everyone -

Most of you already know my obsession with swingarm bushings - their critical importance to your safety, as well as my complete dissatisfaction with the quality and durability of the original and replacement parts.
I won't relate the horrific experience that made the safety issue so important to me - and it's ridiculous that even the steel replacements are only good for maybe 10,000 miles at best.

So I've found a dependable vendor for bronze swingarm bushings - these are produced in small lots of 50 pairs at a time by a quality-obsessed machine shop.
They will last almost forever, essentially. You'll most likely never have to replace them again once you've installed them, and that makes the cost even more reasonable.

I have no vested interest in this, and make no money off it - I just worked out the deal as a service to everyone here.

These bushings are a direct replacement for Honda part numbers 52109-283-300, 52108-300-300 , and 52108-457-300.
As such, they will fit all CB/CL 450, CB750 K-series, CB360, CB500T, CB400F, CB500/550.
Probably other models that I don't know of as well.

The fellow coordinating this deal originally had them made as a one-off deal for his 1979 CBX, which use the CB450 K6/K7 (457) part number.

His price is $32.50 per set plus shipping.
Shipping/handling to U.S. & Canadian destinations will be $4.95 and $9.95 for all overseas destinations.
He prefers PayPal, but you can talk to him about other options, if PayPal is not your thing.

I personally think that at this price, you can't let this pass, folks.
He will be selling them on EBay, but for a higher price than this - tell him you are from HondaTwins.net.

Please contact Bob Franzke at email<[email protected]>email

bill
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
WOZERD said:
Bill, are these the shouldered bushings similar to the ones you (or someone) posted a pic of in another thread?
Yes, they're shouldered (flanged), and have grease grooves on the inside.
They will last you almost forever, it will be the last time you will do that job on that bike.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
66 Posts
Thanks for the info, Bill.

Do you think it would be possible to get the same shop to make up a batch that would fit the CB350? (Part Number 52174-329-300)

This may be a silly question so please excuse my inexperience. Can you replace the swingarm bushings without disassembling the whole frame? Do you have to remove the engine and break down the entire bike? Or do you just knock the pivot bolt out and replace the bushings?

Thanks!

~Jeremy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jeremy said:
Thanks for the info, Bill.

Do you think it would be possible to get the same shop to make up a batch that would fit the CB350? (Part Number 52174-329-300)

This may be a silly question so please excuse my inexperience. Can you replace the swingarm bushings without disassembling the whole frame? Do you have to remove the engine and break down the entire bike? Or do you just knock the pivot bolt out and replace the bushings?

Thanks!

~Jeremy
Firt, I really don't know about the 350 bushings - I guess I could ask the guy. I really have nothing to do with it, I just happened to run into this fellow in my searching.
I don't really know if any other models use the same bushings or not (once again, I wish Steve was here). If they're specific to 350 only, he may not have any interest. 329 is actually an XL250 number, the original was a 286 part, which is CB250/350.
Like I mentioned, he originally did these for his CBX, it just happened that a bunch of other models use the same ones - that made it worthwhile to do production runs.

And to get the swingarm bushings changed out, you just have to remove the rear wheel, unbolt the lower shock mounts and chain guard, then pull out the swingarm bolt.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
275 Posts
You'll probably get tired of hearing me say this!

Thanks!!
(again)

UPDATED 01/11/09
Wrote to Bob last night. This morning he responded.

Bushings on their way-- !!
( this beats the heck out of running around looking for stock and using up favors to have a set custom made!!)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
66 Posts
tbpmusic said:
Yes, they're shouldered (flanged), and have grease grooves on the inside.
Hey, Bill... got another question for you. Do the OEM Honda bushings also have a grease groove in them, or is that an extra feature added by the shop that made the bronze bushings?

I'm asking because I think I'm going to have some custom bronze bushings made for my CB350. The OEM bushing that I ordered as a model doesn't appear to have a groove. Should I have the machine shop add one?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Jeremy said:
tbpmusic said:
Yes, they're shouldered (flanged), and have grease grooves on the inside.
Hey, Bill... got another question for you. Do the OEM Honda bushings also have a grease groove in them, or is that an extra feature added by the shop that made the bronze bushings?

I'm asking because I think I'm going to have some custom bronze bushings made for my CB350. The OEM bushing that I ordered as a model doesn't appear to have a groove. Should I have the machine shop add one?
The stock (450) bushings I'm looking at (at pictured above) do not have grease grooves, they are smooth inside.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
SSCR said:
Anyone know if these bushings would work with a CB350? I'm looking now but can't find any hard proof either way. Thanks
sorry - 350 bushing is a different part, and unique to the 350, I think.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
439 Posts
I need some assistance. I contacted Bob Franzke ([email protected]) to ask about bronze swingarm bushes and he sent me the demensions of the bushes he has. Problem is, I do not have my 450 swingarm apart yet! Anyone have a spare 450 swingarm bush they can measure up for me? The demensions Bob sent me are as follows"

OD= 1" inch and 1 1/4" inches (at other end measured with extended edge)
ID = 13/16" inches

I DO have a 350 swingarm apart that I can verify the 350 demensions... I'll post these measures this weekend. TIA, danWI
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Dan Bauer -

Here are photos of the three types of swingarm bushings for 450's that I have here.
As mentioned previously they fit a lot of other bikes too.

Both Honda parts measure about 43mm long x 22mm id x ~26.5mm od
I don't have a really good caliper, so there's not machinist-like accuracy in those numbers.

The bronze part (from Bob) measures the same, except it's 42 mm long overall.
That will not matter, as the flange will keep it in the right place.
These are very nicely machined parts.

The flanged Honda bushings I saw were NOT metallic in nature, so I don't use or recommend them.
Both these Honda parts pictured are some sort of ferrous metal (magnetic properties), guaranteed.





 

·
Registered
Joined
·
439 Posts
Okay, so Bob F's bronze bushes will work! Thanks Bill. I'll go ahead and order a set for future install. I'll also get the 350 demensions this weekend... i also would like to re-bush my 350 project. danWI
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
48 Posts
I replaced the swingarm bushings in my 360 with these bronze bushings. Definitely a much better part, good snug fit and absolutely no side to side movement in the swingarm now. All is well.

I was kinda surprised at the factory installed bushings, pretty crappy if you ask me. But what do I know.

Ben
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
I know this is my first post, but I read about the 450 bushings and got in touch with Bob Franzke who told me to send him a couple of 350 bushings so he can mill out some bronze ones for us. They will fit CB/CL350's and anything else with part number 52174-289-300 (52174-286-300). Will let you guys know what's up once he receives my stock bushings, so hopefully this will generate some interest. Price will be about the same according to Bob.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
275 Posts
Bill,
I told you how much play I had in my 69 CB450 street bike rear wheel. I never checked the play in the 72 CB450 "racer". I have completely stripped the racer frame, had it sand (sand-- play sand) blasted (loved the finish). and painted it using Duplicolor wheel paint system (beautiful titanium color).
Time to install those beautiful bronze swingarm bushings from Bob Franzke.
Popped off the washers, pulled out the felt dust seals and, thinking I was dealing with the phenolic bushings, started whacking away with my sledge and drift.
They are steel!
I've tried driving them out with a close to same diameter socket (destryed the socket). I've made a puller (AKA wristpin puller). Ended up gouging my swing arm, bending a 1 1/4" piece of gas pipe, and the 3/8's threaded rod. No luck, got one bushing to move about 1/4'".
Short of a acetylene torch and ruining my paint (not a big deal-- more worried about changing the metal hardness or causing it to deform) or, trying to figure out how to get a dremel into that opening to try to cut the bushing enough to drive it out-- any suggestions? I'm wore out beating on it!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
WOZERD said:
Bill,
I told you how much play I had in my 69 CB450 street bike rear wheel. I never checked the play in the 72 CB450 "racer". I have completely stripped the racer frame, had it sand (sand-- play sand) blasted (loved the finish). and painted it using Duplicolor wheel paint system (beautiful titanium color).
Time to install those beautiful bronze swingarm bushings from Bob Franzke.
Popped off the washers, pulled out the felt dust seals and, thinking I was dealing with the phenolic bushings, started whacking away with my sledge and drift.
They are steel!
I've tried driving them out with a close to same diameter socket (destryed the socket). I've made a puller (AKA wristpin puller). Ended up gouging my swing arm, bending a 1 1/4" piece of gas pipe, and the 3/8's threaded rod. No luck, got one bushing to move about 1/4'".
Short of a acetylene torch and ruining my paint (not a big deal-- more worried about changing the metal hardness or causing it to deform) or, trying to figure out how to get a dremel into that opening to try to cut the bushing enough to drive it out-- any suggestions? I'm wore out beating on it!
Yeah, the old steel ones can be a nightmare to get out.
When they won't "act right", it can be one of the worse, most frustrating jobs you'll ever have on a 450.
I can remember spending hours on that job, back in The Day (late 60's, early 70's, before they changed to the cheap crap).
I always used heat and a big ol' slide hammer on them.
You might try soaking them in some MSR for a while first - maybe they're rusted. It's worked for me on seized up centerstand/brake pedal shafts.......
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
275 Posts
Not what I wanted to hear!! : (
You wouldn't happen to have a magic wand would you?

I've tried the penetrant-- didn't phase it.

Guess I'll just have to be persistent.

Thanks!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
WOZERD said:
Not what I wanted to hear!! : (
You wouldn't happen to have a magic wand would you?

I've tried the penetrant-- didn't phase it.

Guess I'll just have to be persistent.

Thanks!!!
Penetrants are useless - this is way out of their league.
Try MSR, 50/50 with water - soak the whole business end of the swingarm for a couple of days, then rinse and dry.
Like I said, I had the best success with a big honkin' slidehammer.

If you have access to a press, that could work too.
Sockets aren't engineered for end loading like that, so they will mushroom on you every time. You have to use a piece of hardened steel to press those things out.
If it comes to it, a machine shop can do it and probably not charge a whole lot.....they're used to work like this and have all the spacers and stuff they need to hold it level, blah, blah, blah....

Take heart in the fact that it's the last time you'll ever have to do it - put some grease on the new brass ones when you install them, inside and out.
 
1 - 20 of 172 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top