Honda Twins banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Evening,
As I was assembling my bike I noticed the swingarm was bent. So a couple of auctions later I have a NOS swingarm. I installed bronze bushings and went to press in the collar part number 52141-283-000. It appears that the collar is about 3/16" shy of being flush. I went to my local shop and was told that the collar should stick out a hair, so when I torque down on the bolt there is pressure on the collar not the bushing. What should I do. I have all of the OEM bushings NOS for the bike, but, I have read great things about the bronze bushings. Any suggestions......

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
buckeyebomber00 said:
Good Evening,
As I was assembling my bike I noticed the swingarm was bent. So a couple of auctions later I have a NOS swingarm. I installed bronze bushings and went to press in the collar part number 52141-283-000. It appears that the collar is about 3/16" shy of being flush. I went to my local shop and was told that the collar should stick out a hair, so when I torque down on the bolt there is pressure on the collar not the bushing. What should I do. I have all of the OEM bushings NOS for the bike, but, I have read great things about the bronze bushings. Any suggestions......
Personally, I'd refit the original Honda parts, as they work :!: """generally"" the people complaining about the pivot are usually taking over someone's shoddy maintenance. These pins need to be greased correctly and regularly, if not they wear prematurely, as to will the bronze bushes ;)

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
It is true that the collar should remain motionless on the bolt, and the active pivot area is the bushing to collar contacts....However, 3/16" excess would allow WAY too much sideplay...The actual "excess collar length" should be measured in thousandths of an inch.....(be so slight it can not be felt).... Are the bushings flanged? ... There were some plastic "flanged inserts" that fit in the ends of some arms just outside of the bushes that were about .077" thick....One of those on each side would make up nearly all of that ~3/16'...Perhaps you need them as well as the bushes (However, on these arms, the bushes weren't flush, they inset about .12" )....

I can take a pic of the flnged insert and post it IF it will help, but if your bushes already have flanges, I'm at a loss to suggest what you should do.....

I'm inclined to agree with Rod and suggest you use the correct original parts If you can't achieve any better fit with the bronzes........

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
Have a read of this before rushing off to change something.

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=320

Tother thing is that the swing arm on the BB are different to the later five speed ones, is the BB one wider at the pivot point. The reason is, that the sealing felt and cap are different and may require a longer pin :?: :?:

·
Registered
101 Posts
Hey Buckeye-
I'm rebuilding a CB450K0 at my work and have run into the same issue. A pair of bronze bushings were acquired from CBX Peformance. The existing "collar" was very worn, so I figured I'd use one from a later 450. No dice....Diameter is good, both i.d. and o.d., but the overall length is to much. So I'm gonna have to shorten the later 450 collar to match the K0 collar. The fit should be tight in between the frame swingarm bosses, INCLUDING THE CUPS. Do not use the stepped washer bit that the felt washer fits onto.
Apparently, K0 frames are somewhat narrower than later models.
Find a local machinist and have them remove an equal amount of material from both ends of the collar. Not a hacksaw job.
Also, double check the depth required where the bushings press into the swingarm. The i.d. of the swingarm is stepped some distance in, requiring that the bronze bushing be shortened by 2-3mm.
Oh, I see the bushings are already pressed in.....nevermind.
Mmmmmm.....chrome panels.
NE

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You can see the bronze sticking out on either end. I do have the lipped flanges for the swingarm as well. I think the only thing I would need would be the felts. I think I have seen threads on those before on the old DOHC. The shop owner said he could shave down the outside edges of the swingarm and re-insert the bronze bushings until there was a thou' of the collar sticking out. There was a thread awhile ago, but for the life of me I can't find it. It was talking about how great these bushings were and that there was absolutely no side play.

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
buckeyebomber00 said:
You can see the bronze sticking out on either end. I do have the lipped flanges for the swingarm as well. I think the only thing I would need would be the felts. I think I have seen threads on those before on the old DOHC. The shop owner said he could shave down the outside edges of the swingarm and re-insert the bronze bushings until there was a thou' of the collar sticking out. There was a thread awhile ago, but for the life of me I can't find it. It was talking about how great these bushings were and that there was absolutely no side play.
Before doing anything, measure the two swing arms and all other parts.
This appears like a lot of work, if you have the original parts that work and fit. The swing arm in the photo is from a 5 speed and not correct for the BB. The felt are readily available on Evil bay :)

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Rod,
Do you have a pic' of a 4 speed swingarm. I purchased this swingarm as NOS and it matches the damaged swingarm that I am replacing. Maybe someone switched it out years ago. I have posted pic of the bike when I got it back in '05. It was a basket case.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts