Honda Twins banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I am currently rebuilding my 500t engine, and upon inspection of my case I noticed a little piece broken off where the Kickstarter and spring rest. After I completely tore my engine down I decided to buy a shell on eBay and when it arrived it had the EXACT same piece broken off. Since I purchased this bike in pieces there was no way to test the Kickstarter so I’m not sure what impact this has on it but from my experience (which is not much) it seems that it would create an issue with the Kickstarter. Is this a normal issue with these bikes? Are there any fixes for this? I thought of welding a bead to it to stop the actual Kickstarter from going into this groove but unsure now. Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
I've not been into a 500T bottom end but I assume it is pretty much the same as the 450, and it looks like the kickstart lever broke off the stop - probably from POs repeatedly letting the kickstart lever pop back up from the bottom of the stroke causing an impact when it hits the stop. I have seen 450s and 500Ts with the kickstart lever positioned too far forward in pictures and often wondered if the stop was broken or the owner just put the lever on too far forward on the splines.

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
Just like Tom stated above, that's the stopper tab for the kick starter. It is there to prevent the kick starter shaft from spinning all the way around.

In any case you can probably repair that by welding. Finding a welder who can work with aluminum my be tricky though.

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
Get another cover but check to see if stop is intact first.

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
Just be careful with the kick starter from now on and not letting it snap back against the case.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just be careful with the kick starter from now on and not letting it snap back against the case.
I will, the weld seems to be pretty strong but I’m assuming the Kickstarter is much stronger and eventually just wears down the case. Will baby it. Hoping to get everything out back together without too many problems.

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
The problem is that the kick starter shaft is made of hardened steel while the stopper tab is aluminum.
With the kick starter snapping back on the stopper enough times the softer aluminum will give way to the steel shaft.

It's somewhat a silly design if you ask me but whatever...

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
I think the Japanese intended that we use the kickstart lever like we would a shift lever... with finesse and "touch", and let it return with our foot instead of letting it slam back unimpeded. I think we've all seen people actually start to kick an engine over at the very top of the stroke instead of taking the lever down until it engages the kickstart gears and then apply the kick, and those people really aren't in tune with motorcycles....

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, and I was going to ask about that now that you mention it, Tools - is he using the electric start?
I’m still undecided whether I wanna use the electric starter or not. I probably will though.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
If it's a street bike, I'd sure keep it just for the convenience. In some ways I wish I'd kept mine, but only after a rebuild and wanting to get oil flow to the top end before firing it up for the first time... other than that, if the bike is in decent tune, it fires right up on one or two kicks so no big deal. The weight savings is moderate and of course, it lets you use a much smaller battery without the starter... I'm running a < 1 lb, 4 ah lithium battery

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If it's a street bike, I'd sure keep it just for the convenience. In some ways I wish I'd kept mine, but only after a rebuild and wanting to get oil flow to the top end before firing it up for the first time... other than that, if the bike is in decent tune, it fires right up on one or two kicks so no big deal. The weight savings is moderate and of course, it lets you use a much smaller battery without the starter... I'm running a < 1 lb, 4 ah lithium battery
Yeah those were my thoughts but I am more leaning towards keeping it for convenience. I’ll have to decide when I can finally find a seat pan that fits my tail loop and see how much space I’m working with

1 - 14 of 14 Posts