Honda Twins banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some short-term ideas here.

The splined hub on the kickstarter spindle / shaft on my CL450 has split and allows the kicker arm to ratchet forward unless extremely careful when releasing it. I had a hose clamp tightened around it which worked less that ideal for a while, but that's not cutting it.

I'd like a short-term fix as I need to have the bike road worthy mid next month. I do have a replacement spindle assembly but I'm not too keen on pulling the motor and splitting the case even though it wouldn't take much more time to pull it at this point.

I'm considering fabbing a clamp out of aluminum, but there's not a lot of room to get one in there.

Anyone know of a stronger clamp available? Or would it be possible to pull the spring and hub(s) that the spring hooks on and reassemble with the shaft in the case?

Other ideas?

Attachments

·
Sensei
27,161 Posts
Replace the whole kick-shaft assembly now...IF it should come apart and wedge the clutch or anything else at speed it wouldn't be pretty...........Safety first!..........You don't have to take the top end apart...Just remove what is necessary to split the cases on the overturned engine...

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I really don't want to pull the engine right now, I've just got too much to do in the next month to spend the 3 more days minimum that it would set me back. Not to mention any other surprises I may find. I've got to put new steering bearings and rebuild the forks on my daily rider as well as get the ol Honda road worthy. And that's just the garage work.

Is there any way to pull / slide hammer those hubs off the spline and press / drive new ones on? How well is the shaft supported (in both directions)? Or maybe spot weld the hub to the shaft? Would I be risking breaking something else if I started tapping / hammering on the shifter shaft?

I totally understand about the safety issue if leaving it alone. That's why I'm not leaving it as is. At the very least I will clamp it again to keep it from falling apart. I don't use the kicker, at least I shouldn't. The electric start has always worked until recently and hopefully the starter clutch will repair nicely.

·
Sensei
27,161 Posts
4 hours MAX... engine out, over, split, fixed, zipped up, and reinstalled.......Three gaskets, (oil pump, right sidecover, left front side-cover) a tube of Hondabond, and the replacement shaft.....Sounds like a Sunday afternoon project to me....

Hammering/pulling/pressing in situ may damage the cases.....Of course, if you don't use the kicker, it is unlikely to brake further......Your call......

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
But I'm slow...your 4 hours is 8 hours to me which equates to 3 days (or evenings)...if I can con a friend to help me with the moving of the engine. You do make it sound easy though. Has anyone posted a step by step with pics to help convince me?

·
Sensei
27,161 Posts
For now, just remove the kicker (arm/pedal) and pretend it's a modern e-start only bike.....
Meanwhile gather up parts and the special tools you'll need (oil filter spanner if you don't already have one) circlip pliers, and the gaskets....Search topics for oil filter, clutch removal, etc..... Everything has been covered, just not all in one topic.... The shaft itself is a one bolt drop-in once the main cases are split.....

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Been there before. I made an oil filter socket about 5 years ago when I rebuilt the oil pump. I suppose I should dig out my service manual and have a quick read. I think you made it sound like less work than it is? ;)

·
Sensei
27,161 Posts
It's NEVER work if you're having fun!.......... :lol: Steve

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Too true. I'm leaning. I spoke with a friend that I helped last week in assembling his sprint car engine and he said he'd help.

So there is no gasket for between the case halves? Just goop (Hondabond)? Is that basically the same as Permatex The Right Stuff gasket maker?

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
mtnlvr said:
Too true. I'm leaning. I spoke with a friend that I helped last week in assembling his sprint car engine and he said he'd help.

So there is no gasket for between the case halves? Just goop (Hondabond)? Is that basically the same as Permatex The Right Stuff gasket maker?
No gasket - Hondabond is one of the many silicon variants out there (says so right on the label).......

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So...I've been having fun in the garage.

Got the kickstarter shaft replaced and ready to reassemble the case. Any hints or tricks or should do's I should address?

Do I goop over just the case mating surface? Or do I goop over the bearing races too? Goop probably isn't the right word...apply the Hondabond fairly thin right?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Attachments

·
Sensei
27,161 Posts
A smooth thin film just on the mating flats and around seals (if you desire, I do...)... NOT on the bearings..........

1 - 13 of 13 Posts