Honda Twins banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was attempting to check the voltage in the charging circuit. Tried to kick it over about 7 or 8 times. It felt fine. On the last (obviously) kick this is the result. Besides the ridges in the male and female pieces, it appears that there is a spot weld or it had become fused. Is that how they are constructed and can this be salvaged? Also the screw is pretty beat up and it is not coming out very easily.

·
Sensei
27,182 Posts
I'm afraid you'll have to replace the kick-shaft..... Interesting because the kicker was obviously being forced against the footpeg bracket, causing shear cracking for awhile before it actually broke ( rust on about half the shaft, so it broke halfway for awhile)..... You didn't notice it was binding on the peg?......

·
Registered
336 Posts
Are you talking about your crank case screws? if you are i sprayed them with some fabulous blaster and let it sit for one night,then take your large size screw driver and attach a vice grip players to it and use it ass a breaker bar they should come right out,then use a rubber mallet to break the crank case loose.
As far as those parts, i dont believe there welded, and they are replaceable .

·
Sensei
27,182 Posts
Pretty sure he's tlking about the screw that keeps the spring and lock-ball in on the kicker...Or maybe the pinch bolt...Both appear somewhat abused (to me) in the pic...

·
Premium Member
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
66Sprint said:
I'm afraid you'll have to replace the kick-shaft..... Interesting because the kicker was obviously being forced against the footpeg bracket, causing shear cracking for awhile before it actually broke ( rust on about half the shaft, so it broke halfway for awhile)..... You didn't notice it was binding on the peg?......
No, Unfortunately, I did not notice the binding. I have only used the kick start a couple of times since I got the bike a few weeks ago. Based on your explanation, the shaft was already on the way out.

Thanks for the explanation on the way that it sheared. I was having trouble understanding why it seemed to only have a small area in which it was connected.

And the screw I am talking about is the one that is vertical in the 2nd pic. I guess that would be the pinch bolt.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts