Honda Twins banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, today was supposed to be a great day.

Mid low 70's in Michigan. For November that's great.

Tried to ride my 350 to work.

Clutch Cable broke about 20 miles into the trip.

I couldn't actuate the cable by hand (pulling up has hard as i could).

Rode it 20 miles back home running as many stop signs as possible. Did good, made it all the way home on 1 bump start.

Really pissed me off though :(

So, where's a good cable company? The cable that broke was new as of Feb. :(

·
Sensei
27,173 Posts
Exactly WHERE on the cable did it break?....... I've got 30 year-old cables on mine that aren't worn out yet.... There MUST be a cause or issue with routing, worn guides/adjusters/levers, etc..... Try the Honda dealer first..... Steve

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The ball ripped off the end of the cable.

My thoughts exactly on 'there must have been a cause'.

i'm hoping it was cheap cable factor. I had bought it as a package on ebay.

I just ordered all new cables from motion pro to replace the ones in the package. the clutch action seems fine by hand, not too stiff in my book.

We'll find out once i open the side cover to put the new cable in. it really ruined my day :(

·
Sensei
27,173 Posts
Jason,
Most common scenarios: lower "ball" failure; right at ball...
"TAB" in clevis not bent in (or missing) to retain ball in notch
Clevis pivot doesn't pivot properly (usually too tight)
"kinked" cable from improper install
Damaged/repaired clevis (chafes cable)
Failure 1 to 3" from ball
Clutch adjusting worm misadjusted...allows "slack" cable to rub on chain
Wear at adjusting "bolt" on cable from lack of lubrication or "kink"
O-ring chain (too wide,... cuts clevis and/or cable)
Cheap cable (no nylon "lubricating" sleeving)

Got to get to work....will edit in "top" ball failure causations later ..... Steve

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
mine was a top ball failure.

stopped at red light.

light changed. clutched out of 1st and ran up the rpm's, grabbed clutch to pull 2nd gear, and the cable went up in the air, and the lever dead to the grip.

It was an upper ball failure. On the cable you can see it was a 'clean cut' (factory cut) and still has some solder around it about 3mm's down.

My guess. bad cable, poor top ball installation.

·
Sensei
27,173 Posts
If you can see where it just "pulled-out" of the lead cylinder, I'd have to agree.... Bad cable quality.... Bummer that you didn't get to ride longer on that nice day......(I'd check all the other cables from that kit)....Steve

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
66Sprint said:
If you can see where it just "pulled-out" of the lead cylinder, I'd have to agree.... Bad cable quality.... Bummer that you didn't get to ride longer on that nice day......(I'd check all the other cables from that kit)....Steve

indeed. I think it was cable failure.

i was debating between motion pro and honda.

motion pro's cables are all black.

i ordered honda cables because they're the standard issue greyish color.

New Front brake, speedo, tach, and clutch. replacing the package i bought previously. I would hate to lose the front brake in a panic stop.

i bought them from srcsi? Sirius something like that outta Canada (eh?)

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
finally had time to fix this this weekend so i could get the machine put into storage, it was definitely a cable failure at the handle bar.

I saw no issues inside of the cover, and the rest looked okay. Amazing how much crap collected in there in only 1000 miles though.

Didn't get a chance to replace the brake light switch in the handle though. Snow was laying down heavy and I wanted to ride it really quick before it was too bad. Power sliding around the hood on it was fun though!

Also noticed low beam burnt out :(

Jason

1 - 9 of 9 Posts