Honda Twins banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Had to get a new head for the 360, and unfortunately the USPS bashed up the package and bent one of the fins far enough to crack it - it's still partially attached. Anybody have any idea how to glom it back together so it'll hold? Wanted to ask before I try heating it up to get it straight and giving it some JB Weld. I was thinking about painting before, but going to for sure now (advice on how to clean between the fins well enough for paint is welcome too!)

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
First, can you get to the ends of the crack with a small drill? Carefully drilling there will help stop the crack spreading by stopping the stress riser. You may want to consult a welder familiar with aluminum, to see if it can be tacked or filled safely.

I find the metal prep cleaner from Eastwood does a good job, as it will wash out much of the embedded oil near the surface. Maybe use it before taking it to the welder.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Wintr!

Gonna have to look into the Eastwood stuff; I think it's clean, but paint might think otherwise haha. The metal of the fin is already splitting, unfortunately, and it goes all the way from edge to edge - I think I might just need to have a welding shop cut it off and re-weld it. I've got a spare head with burned journals that they could take fins from, I'm gonna find out how much that'll set me back.

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
They may just tell you to grind it smooth; there are usually more than enough fins to do the job, and welding a new piece on may be more work than it's worth. Either way, good luck with it.
If you do get it reattached, it would be cool to see before and after photos.

·
Registered
256 Posts
A flap disk and Acetone (with rubber gloves) is commonly used for surface prep prior to tig welding aluminum, the tig process itself is designed to remove impurities in the aluminum as well. The crack should be chamfered for proper penetration then ground smooth after welding
. If done right you won't be able to tell where the break was.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts