Honda Twins banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm buttoning up my 74 CL360 engine and while tightening my cylinder head cover down one of the 6mm bolts broke off inside the cylinder head, DARN! So I pulled the cover off again removed fresh Hondabond and decided to try my hand with a bolt extractor. Upon the first turn the hardened steel extractor broke off in the pilot hole of bolt, YIKES.

So, any suggestions? My first thought is well maybe a carbide drill bit will go through this broken extractor, but even if I get that out wont I have the same problem again once I try to remove this bolt.

Now I'm not one to half-ass and I'm wincing as I write this but 13 out of 14 bolts aint bad??????
Do you think I can get away with covering the hole with Hondabond and simply forgoing that hole, its one of the two smaller 6mm holes on the right side of the camshaft.

Thoughts, suggestions, criticisms.... I could really use some ideas here.

·
Registered
608 Posts
use a small punch to tap that broken tip sideways DON"T DRIVE IT DEEPER sideways different directions then pick it out with a pick or a magnet, drill straight thru bolt using a small bit then a larger one working your way up you may be able to un-coil the remaining threads or drill to size and replace with a heli-coil

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tried working that broken tip free a little from side to side but thats not working very well. The extractor tip broke off flush with the bolt and its really wedged in there. I'm going to make a run to the store and see if I can get some mean drill bits.

·
Registered
608 Posts
find a left hand twist if you can, if it get ahold of anything it will turn it out

·
Registered
785 Posts
You are going to need a diamond tip drill bit or electrolosis to get that broken extractor out.

·
Premium Member
1,612 Posts
Makes me feel fortunate every time I read one of these........and I brake a lot of bolts.. :) :oops:

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
So they put a man on the moon and they can't come up with a bolt extractor that doesn't snap like a twig?! Those things almost always break!

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
:!:

·
Registered
83 Posts
I'm not familiar with the specific bolt that you're dealing with, but I've snapped off PLENTY of bolts/screws :oops:

Forget the EZ-out. I've broken almost as many of them as I have bolts. It'll compound your problem. Left=handed drill bits are better IMO, but take it VERY slow and work your way up slowly in size.

If it's really frozen and there's nothing to grab, but you can remove the piece it's stuck in somehow, take it to a machine shop. They have all the right tools, including EDM (the greatest invention in the history of bolt/screw removal). They'll get that bugger out in 5 minutes and sometimes they won't charge for it. Be sure and ask first - they can be expensive, but most have a soft heart for vintage motorcycles (I always take my kids along so they KNOW I have no money! :lol:).

Whatever happens, please let us know how it works out.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
After this experience I'm not touching another "EASY OUT" with a ten foot pole. After going through a couple of cycles of attempts and frustration I decided to walk away from it for the rest of the day yesterday. I spent some time cleaning up the shop/parts warehouse/living room instead. This should really do wonders for my standing with my girlfriend.

Today is a new day and I'm going to try a few new ideas, I've just about given up on any type standard threaded drill bit no matter what type of coating. Punching it out has yet to work although I may give that another go today too. I'm also going to try to cut a slot through the top of the broken extractor and attempt to unscrew it. I feel confident that if I can just get the extractor out although I'm just back to where I started at least I'll know the right thing to do; simply drill out consecutively larger holes in the broken bolt.

Thanks for all the ideas out there, I'll be sure to tell you how things go today. I've got my father coming down to help out today, bringing in the big hitters for this one so to speak. He's a vintage Honda guy too but of the inline 4 ilk.

Here goes nothing....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts