Honda Twins banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
It depends on how you run it, cooler plugs(8s) for running down the highway and 7s for running around town. In my experience, the factory recommendations are a little bit on the cold side for normal use. Someone is always coming up with a new design plug that is guaranteed to up the horsepower and mileage over conventional plugs. If they really worked I'm sure those designer spark plugs would be standard equipment in all new vehicles, but they're not. Truth is, once they get some miles use and some carbon buildup on the tips, they work about the same as conventional plugs.

Reactions: Lost_Cause

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It depends on how you run it, cooler plugs(8s) for running down the highway and 7s for running around town. In my experience, the factory recommendations are a little bit on the cold side for normal use. Someone is always coming up with a new design plug that is guaranteed to up the horsepower and mileage over conventional plugs. If they really worked I'm sure those designer spark plugs would be standard equipment in all new vehicles, but they're not. Truth is, once they get some miles use and some carbon buildup on the tips, they work about the same as conventional plugs.
Those "designer" spark plugs are the norm in a lot of higher-end cars... and almost every racing build that ive seen.

The N10ZS fits our plug... but the head is listed as "portruding" ... im not sure how far they mean.

They require 1/1000th of an inch between the cylinder and the spark plug... which was impressively tight.

Ill have to see how they fit.

Ps, yes eventually it can be carbon crusted and work similar to a traditional plug... but not having the cap in the way does 2 things; more direct exposure of spark in the direction of combustion ... and the spark chooses the lowest pressure spot to wear in which is naturally the best for an even burn.

The N10ZS is designed for 3 sparks per strike... but it is NOT tiered like the audi design. I do not think serial arrangement is avaipable in a plug this small. These are 3 sparks in parallel.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
Why not try them out and let us know. They're not THAT expensive.

On a side note, I used to think that just the regular NGK plugs were fine but ever since I switched to using iridium NGK's, my bike's performance definitely has improved. Been using the same Iridium plugs for over a year now and they have not fouled at all.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

On a side note, I used to think that just the regular NGK plugs were fine but ever since I switched to using iridium NGK's, my bike's performance definitely has improved. Been using the same Iridium plugs for over a year now and they have not fouled at all.
Im goibg to order 2 (30$) ... i was hoping to get some reviews... but ill be a guinea pig !

Im most concerned about the clearance.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
According to NGK, you index toward the intake with most engines

NGK says of indexing plugs: "...engines with indexed spark plugs will typically make only a few more horsepower, typically less than 1% of total engine output. For a 500 hp engine, you'd be lucky to get 5 hp"

NGK Spark Plugs

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts

You got me to switch to the iridium, seems to start easier on the 500T, installed them but haven't tried on the 450K6 since it is still apart.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
...I switched to using iridium NGK's, my bike's performance definitely has improved. Been using the same Iridium plugs for over a year now and they have not fouled at all.
Don, did you get the BR8EIX Iridiums? or the non-resistor version? if the resistor version, did you change your caps?

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
According to NGK, you index toward the intake with most engines

NGK says of indexing plugs: "...engines with indexed spark plugs will typically make only a few more horsepower, typically less than 1% of total engine output. For a 500 hp engine, you'd be lucky to get 5 hp"

NGK Spark Plugs
I had read this as well ... but note that is for cars and reversing the index becomes more favorable as A) stroke length decreases and B) RPM increases... both of which happen on our bikes relative to a car.

As for Hemi heads... indexing should have far less effect on a Hemi (ample vorticity); but having unobstruced forward spark would have much much greater effect on a curved head...

I have ngk b8s in now... and will set my valves, timing, carbs, etc. Then switch out to the BRISK so as to minimize fouling while i dial the performance in.

But this is my first build of this type, so i won't know "oh it made it 4% better". I do not plan to dyno the engine.

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
Don, did you get the BR8EIX Iridiums? or the non-resistor version? if the resistor version, did you change your caps?
All NGK iridium plugs are resistored I believe. That said I did switch my caps to non-resistored ones.

You can make a resistored cap non-resistored quite easily. Check out my post on this thread.

http://www.hondatwins.net/forums/57...plugs-but-what-exactly-do-i-need-upgrade.html

And does it make a difference running with non-resistored caps? Absolutely. Stronger sparks, better throttle response, feels like more HP even.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I've recently tried Brisk spark plugs in my CB200. My experience hasn't been too good. From an originally fine running engine on NGK DR8 ESL I switched to Brisk BOR12 LGS. First off no different but after a few rides amounting to 50 miles or so of moderate running I reached a stretch of road where the chance came to give it some beans. I noticed a stutter at 7500 rpm plus which previously hadn't been there. At first I thought it was my main jet size which I've been experimenting with for ages anyway so went up and down on that to see if it made any difference. Still my high rev stutter so back to the NGK's and that fixed it instantly. Just my experience and others might find them to be ok but for me I'll be sticking with NGK.

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
Did you swap out your plug caps for non-resistored ones? If not then you are running with weakened spark plugs through out.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts