Honda Twins banner

41 - 60 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
I might go to DMV for a vehicle VIN verification. Hope it goes well.
Last week's visit to Fremont DMV wasn't great. The inspector was a nice guy. He suggested me to install the gas tank to make it look complete and he verified the VIN. Went inside the DMV to register and the ladies there were nasty. The rep tore the certificate and asked me to go to CHP for VIN verification.

Today I went to CHP to get VIN verified everything went well and got the certificate. Then headed to Oakland DMV without any appointment, after an hour walked out with registration and license plate. Finally done after a month.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
I will be watching this thread to learn. Like you I have a 360 with no carbs or air filters and lots of other missing pieces. Its been sitting in the garage for several months and probably won't get to it for a while.

View attachment 302019
Get a used one from eBay and rebuild..

·
Super Moderator
10,197 Posts
The worse they are, the longer they have to soak... and sometimes you have to go for a stronger cleaner like the 5 gallon pail of actual carb cleaner, or an ultrasonic cleaner with a little Dawn in it. I'm not the best person to answer that since I haven't rebuilt a carb in a couple decades and even then it was an automotive 4 barrel, but either ask or search around for others' opinions on the best modern cleaner other than Berryman's (which is well-recommended often)

·
Registered
424 Posts
I use S-100, doesn't affect the rubber bits and easy on the Aluminum.

However.......it will strip the cad plating from the screws and other steel bits, so no more than an hour immersion for them. Then, warm water rinse.

Wash, rinse, repeat until you get the cleanliness what you want. An air compressor blow helps clear small passages...I use a high E guitar string to manually work through the passages.

Finally, go easy on the brass bits, you'll want to reuse if possible as rebuild kits have a calibration mismatch.

Good luck!

·
Sensei
26,300 Posts
That would be normal and correct....
ALL the way CCW is position 0 (OFF)....
One click CW (Position 1) is ON/RUN....
One more CW (Position 2) is PARK, and ONLY the taillight should get power....

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
OMG. Dumb me. I assumed it works just like car ignition keys.
Wasted whole afternoon trying to find the problem which wasn't a problem.
My plan was to make sure my electronic ignition is working okay. Before that, looks like I need to sort out starter chain. When I connected the 12v to the starter directly it made some clunky noise.

·
Super Moderator
10,197 Posts
No drag/squeal, just clunk.

Today I cleaned up drive chain and lubed. I'm guessing same with the starter motor chain.
The starter chain runs in the alternator housing where engine oil is regularly splashed around, so it never needs lube

41 - 60 of 70 Posts