Honda Twins banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I consider a bright headlight a safety item during the day as much as at night. If you have a 12 volt system there are plenty of options. I also believe during much of the 12volt era a sealed beam was not mandatory in the USA. Finding a replacement headlight that was a 12 volt sealed beam on early 12 volts systems may have later models with a separate bulb. So, retrofitting a LED is easy as you are replacing the bulb only in a later model headlight.

6 volt systems are a different story. First issue is all used seal beam headlights. So, you either have to buy a headlight from the UK that takes a separate bulb or replace the whole headlight assembly. Replacement headlight will cost you $50 to $60 & you can thank that to the old USA sealed beam regulation. A fine replacement headlight is available from Drag Specialties. One model has side mounts like your motorcycle original headlight. The 5-3/4 inch headlight model uses 5-3/4" spaced side mounts and the 6-1/2 inch headlight model uses 6-1/2 spaced side mounts. The headlight depth should fit most motorcycles. Using few washers as spacers should allow the replacement headlight to fit your motorcycle original side mounts. Picture of headlight is shown below.

Next, a new class of LED headlamp bulb is available. These LEDs use a separate current regulator module called a LED Drive power supply. It is about the size of 5 stacked quarters. The LED operates from 6 volts to 32 volts and produce the same lumens at 6 volts vs 12 volts. Most LED bulbs are rated at 12 volts, do not use a current regulator and will not even light up at 6 volts.

The old 6 volt sealed beam headlights were mostly rated at 35 watts and produced about 600 lumens. 600 lumens is pitiful and unlike an old 6 volt car with an original weak pair of headlights you have just one headlight. 6 volt halogen bulbs are also available in 35 watt, but only produce about 750 lumens at best. This new LED light puts out 2000 lumens. It draws 20 watts or about 3.3 amps. The old 35 watt sealed beam or 35 watt halogen draw about 5.5 amps. So, saving a little over 2 amps is easier on the motorcycle alternator too.

I find this LED on ebay from Asia for about a low of $10 shipped. I found same light in a box marketed in the USA for $60. I will wait 3 weeks delivery for $50 savings. He are pictures so you know what to look for on ebay.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
My old BSA's ran on 6v and had removable/replaceable bulbs in a steel reflector. They were like trying to see with a candle , though. I think they were only meant to alert others on the road that Something was there....lol.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello, I have searched the internet with every combination of description for the light and can’t find it. Could you let me know how you found it? Thanks Billy

1 - 8 of 8 Posts