Honda Twins banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At first I thought it was because the weather is cooling off. I noticed yesterday when I got off the bike with it running, there was a whitish gray smoke coming from the breather tubes. Almost looked like little cloud puffs for lack of a better description.

Here is what I have done to troubleshoot.

++The bike was nearly ready for an oil change, so that is the first thing I did. I put in 20W50. EDIT actually 10W40.
++Checked the compression. At first I forgot the hold the throttle open and was getting 105 or so on both cylinders.
I buttoned it back up figuring I was going to need a ring job at the least. Did a little more research and realized that I did not have the throttle open when I tested. :roll: Latest readings are 165 Right and 160 left. Well above spec for a 360.

Took it for a 10 mile ride and parked it running and the breather is still smoking. It does not do it when the engine is cold.

Shut off the bike to make sure the oil level was good. It is just above the halfway point in the marks with the bike on the centerstand. Maybe this part is not important. I noticed that when I took the dipstick out the breather smoked some more, when I put it back in, it stopped. I figured that was just airflow.

Any advice on the next step? I am going to check the tappets for proper clearance.

Would that cause the smoking?

·
Registered
703 Posts
What you need to do immediately is pull off the right side cover and pull out the oil screen (oil pick up). See if it's clogged with crap.

If you want, before you do that open a valve cover and start the motor. See if you can see oil sploshing around in there.

Mine did this before because I wasn't getting oil to the top end.

·
Premium Member
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did open a valve cover and I would not exactly call is sloshing around. There were a couple of tiny drops that I could see shoot out of the opening.

I have had the bike for a couple of months and have needed to clean the oil screen and rotor.

Here is the oil filter and screen. One a couple of very small pieces were able to be picked up by a magnet.
I still need to get the pipes on the bike. Couldn't wake the grandson starting the bike this late. :)

Attachments

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
Just curious...Why did you put 20W50 in a bike that specs 10W30 ?
Your compression readings are within spec, but towards the lower end, certainly not above spec.....170 is a "normal" reading for a 360....
Clean the "filter".....

·
Premium Member
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
66Sprint said:
Just curious...Why did you put 20W50 in a bike that specs 10W30 ?
Your compression readings are within spec, but towards the lower end, certainly not above spec.....170 is a "normal" reading for a 360....
Clean the "filter".....
The oil weight was a mistype. :roll: It is 10W40 in the bike. 20W50 went into my friends truck earlier in the day.
By above spec, I meant they were above the lower spec and fall within the range of 149 to 171.

Curious why you put "filter" in quotes. I did clean it when I had it opened.

·
Premium Member
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dirtbag said:
Are you running pods?
Negative. Standard and very clean air filters.

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
drones76 said:
Curious why you put "filter" in quotes. I did clean it when I had it opened.
It's not really a "filter", there is no filtering media..... It's more of a centrifugal separator...... As for the oil weight, just double checkin' ya.....

·
Registered
431 Posts
I love this site. Just did a search and found this, and the thread is still warm. :D

I had a fair amount of smoke coming out the breather tube at one point during an hour-long ride today, but only once, after I had hammered it through a straightaway.

And so now I will check the oil filter. :) Need to swap out the oil anyway, so good timing.

·
Premium Member
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Followup. I had not had too much chance to ride it until this week. I have cleaned the screen and rotor and changed the oil. I am not getting as much of the 'puffs' of smoke but it is still there. If I put my finger on the end of the breather, I am getting droplets of water. No oil in there. Can it be from the fact that it is cooler out? I have only had the bike since the middle of the summer and have not noticed this before.

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
The screen is on the pick-up below the pump, not at the filter.....

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hello everyone, I'm a newbie to motorcycle repair having just bought my first bike, and am having the same issue with my CB360

Was a solution found??

I'll be learning as I go here, and would love any tech support

thanks!!!

·
Registered
68 Posts
The breather hose is just that a breather, it would not be there if nothing was ever to came out. If it's light in color it may be just water vapor. I little white smoke, maybe some blow by from old rings. I've had bike that I've never see anything from the breather hose and others that do. My 71 CB350 does puff a little white smoke out after 5 miles, engine has original 5900 mile. I've a 1,000 mile in the last 2 years with no issues. If the smoke was excessive or of a dark color I would rebuild the top end.

Cheers
Kevin

1 - 15 of 15 Posts