Honda Twins banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i am using a test light as described in the clymer manual to try and set the spark timing.

right cylinder works as described.

but the left cylinder the light always glows, a bit dimly when attached when the crank is at any position.
at first the light would get brighter when it's supposed to turn on, so i timed it using this. i can also hear the spark plug arcing at the right position.

is it supposed to dimly glow like that all the time?

thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
I belive the clymer manual is directing you to use a TIMING LIGHT. A timing light will conect to either the spark plug or spark plug wire. It is a strobe light and flashes when the plug fires allowing you to see exactly when the plug is firing. When you can see exactly when the plug is firing you can either advance or retard the timing accordingly. :shock:

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
actually the clymer is definitely just talking about a two wire simple indicator light.

the points always have +V (positive voltage) running to them at the "middle".
when the points close it is grounded out and the magnetic field in the coil "collapses" and runs to the spark plug

mine was never grounding on left hand side due to bad/dirty points.

i dressed them with a needle file, cleaned them off with alcohol and some paper and now they seem to be working well.

i have spark on both cylinders and static timing seems fine.

just have to figure out why i have no fuel at exit of carbs...

thanks for the reply!

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
When the points close, the coil energises....The induced field doesn't collapse until they re-open......

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i don't believe that is correct, but the end effect is the same and i have spark. ;)

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
Try it. with the points closed hook up a plug to your coil wire. It'll spark when you open the points. When you close them there won't be a spark. Thats why you time it that way with the static timing light.
Basic 1970's jr. high shop class stuff. Only understood by old farts.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts