Honda Twins banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all,
i was gifted an awesome project bike a couple of days ago- a '79 (i think) honda cm400. she's absolutely gorgeous but in need of a lot of tlc- and i don't know jack, other than minimal moped wrenching knowledge. needs a new battery right off the bat, lots of rusting, i would love to upgrade the forks, wheels and breaks initially as well. the gent who gave her to me was going to make a bobber (and i would love to continue down this road) but need a base knowledge first. any and all help, comments and suggestions are welcome, thanks folks!

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
Welcome aboard. Any pictures of this project to share? You will need/want the FSM, factory service manual. PM sent

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the pm! i'll put up some pics in a couple of days- im currently working out of town this weekend ~

·
Registered
623 Posts
Welcome! You'll find this is a really great community with a lot of experienced folk who enjoy helping others. Good that you've got some basic wrenching experience; these bikes are about as reliable as gravity if they're properly set up and cared for, but they also make a good base for modification. The CM series twins, with their cruiser-esque design, are particularly suited to bobbing- here are a few photos of one I built:
First.jpg
20180408_121346.jpg
20180408_121056.jpg
Cheers!

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Great to see another 400 series here. Looking forward to pics.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I see that pics have been demanded as is the tradition here. Which variety is the bike?
A, T, E?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I actually don't know..there's pretty bad rusting on the frame, not to sound dumb but is there anywhere else on the bike to check? hahah, thanks

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
The VIN# is stamped on the right side of the frame neck, but there should be an aluminum plate riveted to the left side with the VIN#, model and year. Sometimes these go missing but the stamped number should be all you need.

Did the bike come with any ownership papers?

·
Registered
399 Posts
A is an automatic, T has a tach and the E has a front drum brake and wire wheels.
Would wager that it's a T.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Edit

hi all,
i was gifted an awesome project bike a couple of days ago- a '79 (i think) honda cm400. she's absolutely gorgeous but in need of a lot of tlc- and i don't know jack, other than minimal moped wrenching knowledge. needs a new battery right off the bat, lots of rusting, i would love to upgrade the forks, wheels and breaks initially as well. the gent who gave her to me was going to make a bobber (and i would love to continue down this road) but need a base knowledge first. any and all help, comments and suggestions are welcome, thanks folks!

ok ok sooo, this bike is actually an '81, and it's a cm400C and its currently in pieces because, damn, rust friggen everywhere man, so pics eventually when its presentable >.>

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
It's not just about it being presentable... it's about what happens along the way too. You should start a project log and post stuff as you go. We've all been there and we enjoy not only seeing others' progress too, but we just might have an idea or helpful hint along the way based on what we see in the progress. Or, just be private about it... only a suggestion

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
ok ok sooo, this bike is actually an '81, and it's a cm400C and its currently in pieces because, damn, rust friggen everywhere man, so pics eventually when its presentable >.>
It's not the first to be in that condition nor the last. Take your time and get it right, you'll have a bike that'll be worth all the trouble.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts