Honda Twins banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the recent past I've had problems with severe front brake squeal on my 450 and rear brake squeal on my '76 GL1000. The squealing was so loud and obnoxious that it was embarrassing to ride so.....I didn't.

I tried deglazing the rotors with scotchbright, then sanding them with 600 grit wet/dry but that didn't help. I sanded and deglazed the brake pads as well with no luck. I tired a couple of different types of anti-brake squeal grease but no joy their either. In the case of the GL, taking the rear pads out and re-installing them is a time consuming and frustrating affair.

I recently broke down and ordered brake pads for both bikes. The rear pads for the GL arrived first and immediately fixed the problem. It's unbelievable how nice it is to take the bike out and just ride around the block without the ear piercing noise.

Yesterday, the front pads arrived for the 450 and those were quickly installed. Once again, the problem was fixed and there is no noise during braking.

This is exciting since I can now take the 450 out and enjoy the riding experience without worrying about scaring women and children as they walk down the street. I still don't understand what happend and why the squeaking started. The pads for the 450 front are set so they can not be installed differently and they don't rotate. When I first started the project the brakes worked fine and nothing was contaminated as far as I know.

Anyway, it wasn't a cheap fix at about $30/pair but It's nice to know (knock on wood) that all four of my classic bikes are now it running condition and I wouldn't hesitate to take any of them on a cross country trip.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
What can you say?? 40-year old stuff doesn't work right some times.....
I guess brake stuff should be replaced as SOP, really, like tires.

They were loud though, I'm witness to that !!

I'd buy tickets to see you stagger in after riding across the country on your CL350 !!!
Talk about getting "buzzed"...........

·
Registered
28 Posts
Just out of curiosity, what brand of pads did you get for the 450? I need to get a set for my 450 in the spring, but I'm not sure what to get. The last thing I want to deal with is noisy brakes.

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dave450 said:
Just out of curiosity, what brand of pads did you get for the 450? I need to get a set for my 450 in the spring, but I'm not sure what to get. The last thing I want to deal with is noisy brakes.
I don't recall what brand they were. I think I got them from the Honda dealer. The squealing issue was not related to the pads, the disc itself was the problem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts