Honda Twins banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, Gang. Time for another rookie question...

Is there a particular brand or type of brake shoes that you guys would recommend for a CB350, or are they all pretty much the same?

·
Sensei
27,164 Posts
Jeremy, I always buy OEM at the Honda dealer IF they are available.... I've also used "Vesrah" or other aftermarket brands on occaision......IF you like to/tend to go too fast, there are places that will re-line the shoes with "race quality" linings, radius the shoes and hub together to get the best "match", etc......As with anything, you get what you pay for.....But the stockers have always worked well enough for me....

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just like to putt along on the back roads so I'm sure the stock shoes will be fine. Thanks for the tips!

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
66Sprint said:
Jeremy, I always buy OEM at the Honda dealer IF they are available.... I've also used "Vesrah" or other aftermarket brands on occaision......IF you like to/tend to go too fast, there are places that will re-line the shoes with "race quality" linings, radius the shoes and hub together to get the best "match", etc......As with anything, you get what you pay for.....But the stockers have always worked well enough for me....
Steve, did you work in a bike shop 'back in the day'? If so, did you actually arc the brake shoes back then? How did you turn the hubs?

I've put a couple of hundred miles on my CL350 over the past few weeks and immediately when I started riding it I realized the front drum brake was weak. When I installed it I hand sanded the shoes with 220 and used some scotchbrite and brake cleaner on the drum. I recall when riding the 350 back in the day that it had pretty good brakes for the time. Now, I can actually move the bike slightly when the front lever pulled in as tight as possible. The rear is fine and provides most of the stopping power on this bike.

It didn't look like the shoes had ever been oil soaked but you never know I guess. Since they are original shoes, will they age harden?

·
Sensei
27,164 Posts
Just as important as the radius arc is the "timing" of the leading edges....They must contact simultaneously.... Try adjusting the linkage rod with the lever/cable loose until the shoes "just touch"at the same time... back off 1 turnand lock it down... then adjust the cable until the lever causes the "just touch" feel as soon as it gap in the lever to perch is about 1/8"... Full application should NOT let the lever go all he way to the grip (about 1/2" clearance at the "ball" end).... Adjusted like this, you should have good braking and good "feel"..... (I assume you sanded both the pads and the drum enough to remove ALL the glazing)

·
Premium Member
2,145 Posts
With twin leading shoe its usually a good idea to adjust with axle slightly loose so brake plate can centralise in hub.
I used to adjust cable so brake is just dragging then adjust linkage so second shoe is doing about the same.
Pull brake lever real hard and tighten axle.
Then re-adjust cable for correct clearance and feel.
It may still need a few hundred mile to fully bed in (unless you remove wheel couple or several times and sand 'high spots' on shoes)
PJ

1 - 6 of 6 Posts