Honda Twins banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My front brake was dragging on the brake. So I pulled of the front tire and worked the pads in and out and spayed them with brake cleaner. I was going to pull the caliper but the line won't budge and I have wd-40 soaking it and I am going to buy brake line wrench to avoid stripping as it won't budge with a regular open end wrench. I will do that another day.

I noticed if I fudge out the caliper side fork leg about 1/8 inch or so wider than it should be it releases and spins freely and the brake works, grabs and then releases back to a pretty free spin. Do you think there is just a stuck pad/piston keeping the tire/wheel form lining up? I have the little adjuster loose and it would appear the caliper bracket is not in line with the disc with the fork legs wider.

I also noticed someone put the wrong bolts in the caliper bracket and the long one was in the short hole so I know someone has been playing with them. Could it be a bent fork?

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I went to look closer and the disc is actually hitting the inside of the fork? What the heck?

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
I would think the caliper arm pivot is "stuck"... disassemble, clean (usually emery cloth) and LUBE the pin before reassembly.... DO NOT "fudge" the fork tube out, it WILL bind....It is also possible the AXLE is installed backwards as the "nut' is part of the wheel spacing....(hence rotor spacing)

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I looks like the axle is wrong. My Clymer book shows the nut end of the axle on the disc side and the bolt end with the hole in is on the speed side.

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
I thought that might be it...It's a common error.....

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Swapped it around and good clearance for the disc and the caliper is now aligned. Piston is still sticking some and I will rebuild that in the next few days but he brake actually works now and is not rubbing on the bottom fork leg.

Thanks again 66!!

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
You are most welcome!.....
Just as an example of how consistantly this problem shows up in various disguises, check out the 350/4 to 400/4 wheel swap topic...... :D ...You aren't alone....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts