Honda Twins banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I have a pretty badly bent brake pedal on my '70 CB350K2. Part number is 46500-317-000. The '71 part number is 46500-317-670. (I found a used one that is non bent for a fair price).

Two things: Since I can't reference a non bent brake pedal I'm not sure as how to get it back it's original shape/orientation. Secondly, I believe, I read on this forum that if the first 8 part numbers were the same on a Honda part (46500-317-***) that it is interchangeable? The last 3 digits representing possible upgrades, variants or vendor change of the same part but still usable. Could a fellow enthusiast please shed some light?

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Yes, I think that's correct about the part number. Can't recall the exact definition of the last 3 digits of the part number but the middle number definitely indicates it's for the same bike and the first 5 tell what kind of part it is, so you should be okay. Straightening brake pedals and other factory chrome parts like that is tough because it often requires more than just force to bend one back in shape and if you have to heat it, the chrome gets blued, of course.

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
I worked for hours trying to straighten a bent '69 350 brake lever. I finally gave up - they have such a convoluted shape that it's almost impossible to get everything in the right spot. As soon as you get one bend close to right, you have upset the other bends. It doesn't lend itself well to being clamped in a bench vise, either.

That said, I bought a straight one from a later model 350, and the only difference was that the later models had a height adjustment bolt welded to them. It fit just fine.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thx! I agree that heat will alter it and as mentioned I'n not exactly sure how it's oriented to begin with. It's pushed up into the foot rest bar. If you look at a parts breakdown the '70 and '71 part appears to be identical but I guess that doesn't always mean so. David Silver Spares said it won't fit so I thought I'd ask all of you to verify.

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
Yeah, most parts sites will tell you an OEM part won't fit unless the part # is exactly the one for your model bike. In reality, a lot of parts will still fit year-to-year, even if they are slightly different. Of course, if you're a purist, you would want an exact replacement. I converted my '69 CL350 to CB pipes, and I have parts from all sorts of different K model 350s on it for the conversion, all later model parts - CB headers, brake pedal, CB centerstand, and CB footpeg bar. They all fit fine. I did have to use the later model short split exhaust collars, but that was the only glitch.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm guessing the parts sites don't want to keep sending call tags for parts pickups if they tell people it will fit. I get it. It may fit but be tweaked slightly for some reason. Thx.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts