Honda Twins banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 500T with the original front brake pads. The brakes require a lot of leaver pressure to stop quickly and I am not able lock up the front wheel at more than a walking pace. I know that the CB450 and 500T brakes were never brilliant but dose any one know if the modern after market pads are an improvement on the old?

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Modern brake pads often squeal in my experiences. Your results may vary..

The problem (more than likely) is that your pads and rotor are "glazed." The pads, if they're in usable shape and not worn down to the replacement line on them, can be deglazed easily. Put a piece of sandpaper on a sheet of glass or perfectly flat countertop and run the brake pads across it in at least two different directions. Example: Up and down for a while, then left to right for a bit. Until you see the "glossy face" go away..

The rotor needs to be de-glazed as well. Personally I'd try lightly sanding it with finer/medium grit paper/emery cloth and a hand sander, being sure to do it in a uniform manner. Others may say that you should have it turned or toss it in the scrap pile. Be sure to check its thickness to see if it's still serviceable though.

The problem could also be a soft (old) rubber brake hose expanding too much to apply proper force on the brake piston.. If the lines are original then I'd be replacing them asap.

One of these years I'd like to try having the rotor blasted with aluminum oxide to see if that's an acceptable method of de-glazing..

GB :)

·
Premium Member
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your advice Bird I will try your suggestions, which by the way sound very plausible. regards Allan

1 - 3 of 3 Posts