Honda Twins banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does Honda supply a front brake master cylinder rebuild kit? If not, are they available somewhere else?

I took the front brake caliper apart this afternoon as well so I could include it with the large powder coating job I'm taking over tomorrow. The junk in the caliper was heavy and grungy. I haven't checked yet but hopefully Honda still supplies the caliper piston seals.

If not, I'll be in the market for a front brake caliper too.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Concerning the caliper
Unless the seals are torn or crumbling, try simply cleaning them. It may mean gently scraping them with your finger nail and feeling along their surface for tiny chunks of gunk. Use a small screwdriver, a dental pick or similar to GENTLY scrape out the groove for the O ring.
Polish (600 grit or higher) the piston in a direction opposite the piston movement (meaning around the piston-- not up and down). Ditto the inside of the caliper bore. Again, using sense of touch to make sure it's smooth.
Use a good quality caliper grease (make sure it says for lubricating pistons and seals) for reassembly. Rub it well into the rubber parts.
I have done this many times and been successful everytime (so far). If it doesn't work, your out maybe 30-60 minutes of your time.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Mike -

Regarding the master -

It would be much easier and mo' betta to just get one of the aftermarket masters off EBay for $50 or so.
It's a bolt-up, and it won't leak, a no-brainer unless you need to keep things original.
You'll spend way too much money on a couple of little parts for the stocker, and it will probably leak anyway when you're done.

Just my thoughts........

The caliper you're pretty much stuck with, but usually they can be fixed ok.
Depends on the model - not sure what bike you're talking about.

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
tbpmusic said:
Mike -

It would be much easier and mo' betta to just get one of the aftermarket masters off EBay for $50 or so.
It's a bolt-up, and it won't leak, a no-brainer unless you need to keep things original.
You'll spend way too much money on a couple of little parts for the stocker, and it will probably leak anyway when you're done.

Just my thoughts........

The caliper you're pretty much stuck with, but usually they can be fixed ok.
Depends on the model - not sure what bike you're talking about.
My goal was to keep it original although that could always change (like it did with the paint job). It wasn't leaking before I started so I might just clean the exterior parts and force some clean fluid through it with my vacuum pump thingy. There is corrosion on all the hose connections (the threaded ones) so I'll be taking all that apart.

The caliper looks to be in pretty good shape. I've already cleaned the piston and the bore and, as mentioned, used my dental pick tool to get the "O" ring goove clean.

I was hoping to re-anodize the master cylinder but I don't know if that's going to happen. If I was going to do a bunch of anodizing I'd spring for one of the Caswell kits but it's a bit spendy to do just one. Maybe I'll research the 'home brew' methods of anodizing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts