Honda Twins banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
relatedly...

i haven't had to change out a TAIL light on my cb450 but think i'm due. last night a little old lady (true story) pulled up next to me at a stop light and told me my rear lights were not on. my brake light works properly when both front and/or rear is activated but just no rear light when my lights are "ON." is this a function of the bulb steve? anybody? is there just one bulb back there that needs replacing? anything else that might be causing this scenario? remember dumbed down details are best for me...

thanks,
seth

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
uhohferris said:
relatedly...

i haven't had to change out a TAIL light on my cb450 but think i'm due. last night a little old lady (true story) pulled up next to me at a stop light and told me my rear lights were not on. my brake light works properly when both front and/or rear is activated but just no rear light when my lights are "ON." is this a function of the bulb steve? anybody? is there just one bulb back there that needs replacing? anything else that might be causing this scenario? remember dumbed down details are best for me...

thanks,
seth
A single dual-filament bulb ....

·
Registered
175 Posts
Same thing an automobile uses. 1157. From any auto parts store. It could also be wiring, socket, dirty contacts... The bulb is the easiest thing to check and is probably the problem. you should get an electrical tester, anyway. Cheap and a good thing to have around.

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
i can't believe this post is going this far, but i bought a new bulb and that unfortunately wasn't my problem. without digging to deep into the wiring any one want to suggest EXACTLY what and WHERE i check next? again, the brakes activate the rear light no problemo, it's just the rear light in general that does not come on when i turn the lights "ON." kerry- i've got an ohmmeter(completely analog, a non-digital model), but barely know how to use it. anyone for that matter, care to direct me in the next direction?

always many thanks in advance to you guys...
-seth

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
uhohferris said:
i can't believe this post is going this far, but i bought a new bulb and that unfortunately wasn't my problem. without digging to deep into the wiring any one want to suggest EXACTLY what and WHERE i check next? again, the brakes activate the rear light no problemo, it's just the rear light in general that does not come on when i turn the lights "ON." kerry- i've got an ohmmeter(completely analog, a non-digital model), but barely know how to use it. anyone for that matter, care to direct me in the next direction?

always many thanks in advance to you guys...
-seth
There's a brown wire going to your taillight, it feeds the taillight itself (brake light is the green/yellow wire).
You should see 12 volts on the brown wire whenever the headlamp is on, or when you have the key turned to the last position (clockwise).

If not, you need to start tracing the brown/white wire at the other end, in the headlight shell. In the right handlebar switch, 12 volts is taken from the black wire (one of the black wires anyway) and routed to the brown/white wire, which feeds all the indicator lights and then to the brown wire for the taillight.

This all assumes you have a lights OFF position on your handlebar switch......

At least I think that's the way it all works....

You need a manual and a wiring diagram......

·
Registered
608 Posts
3 wires from the tail light unit, Green is ground (ok since brake light works) Yellow/Green or solid Yellow is brake light, brown wire is tail light, when you say you have a ohm meter do you mean a VOM (volt-ohm-meter)? is so set it on DC voltage range (12v or greater range) and check at the connection under the seat going back and into the fender do you have voltage there? yes = there is another connection tucked up into the taillight housing assemble check that connection and the socket itself, if you don't have voltage at the brown wire check your ignition switch

Attachments

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
jayel said:
3 wires from the tail light unit, Green is ground (ok since brake light works) Yellow/Green or solid Yellow is brake light,
???

Green/yellow is brake light on all CB/Cl 450 models, including export models.
Solid yellow is one of the stator coil wires..........

·
Registered
608 Posts
tbpmusic said:
jayel said:
3 wires from the tail light unit, Green is ground (ok since brake light works) Yellow/Green or solid Yellow is brake light,
???

Green/yellow is brake light on all CB/Cl 450 models, including export models.
Solid yellow is one of the stator coil wires..........
I've got one with a yellow between the connector back to the the tail light, but this bike is a bitsa, nice to know it's supposed to be Y/G and will probably deduct from my resto points if I decide to show it at the concours d'elegance :lol:

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
it was the brown wire bullet connection just under the seat. duh! it must have been pulled loose when i just NEEDED more room and tried to prop my seat up with a big chunk of wood. for what dumb reason, i forget. the diagram was really a huge help. saved by you guys yet again...

thanks,
seth

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.