Honda Twins banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I recently just got a battery for my 1978 CB400A I'm bringing back to life. It had been sitting for about 20 years, and to the best of my knowledge it hasn't been messed with or modified in any way.

I just got a battery and hooked it up, and after I tested all the gage lights and blinkers, I noticed the tail light remained on even after the ignition was off and the key was out. The only way I could get it off was to remove the battery.

I tried the brake light switch while the ignition was on, and it did nothing. It seems the brake light is always ON no matter what, it never goes out or gets brighter when the brake pedal switch is pulled or at rest.

Any thoughts? Like I said before to my knowledge the wiring has never been messed with. I replaced the ignition with a brand new one because I didn't have the original key, and I replaced the brake light switch with a new one because it was frozen (I do have a spare off a parts bike I haven't tried yet)
thanks
Eric

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Sensei
27,161 Posts
Phone me......number below.....
You ARE rotating the key COUNTERCLOCKWISE to turn it off, Correct?....
Turning the key CLOCKWISE until it stops and can be removed is the "PARK" position, and it DOES turn on ONLY the taillight......
Also, There are two brake light switches on the bike.......

·
Registered
500 Posts
Also, make sure the brake pedal switch is adjusted, connected and working properly. Did you get an OEM ignition?

·
Sensei
27,161 Posts
Phone me while at bike (with test probe or multimeter would be nice) ...540-525-5199

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info! I'm away from home for a couple days but I believe I may have turned the switch I to park, I didn't realize that was a thing and thought it could just be turned off in either direction. I will check when I get back home and let you know how I make out.
Eric

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts