Honda Twins banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm pretty new to working on bikes and am trying to restore a '72 CB450. It's been a learning experience so far and I expect it will continue to be. Luckily I have a 2003 750 Nighthawk in great shape for daily riding, so this is a project to teach myself how to work on bikes. Anyway, the carb advice I got here a week or so ago was great, so I thought I would come here with my next problem.

The bike was sitting for over a year and developed a fair amount of rust. It was supposedly inside the whole time, but obviously was exposed to some moisture. One of the problems I'm trying to fix now is the front brake caliper. When I went to put the bike on a trailer to take it to my garage it wouldn't budge, the front wheel was totally locked. By loosening the caliper bolts I was able to free the wheel, but when I hit the brake lever again, it locked again, as if the piston is going out, but then staying there. I took the caliper off and everything seems very frozen up. When I removed the bleeder screw, the bottom of it was very rusty...even though it should have been in brake fluid, which I would assume wouldn't allow it to rust, so moisture must have gotten in there somehow. When I drained the brake fluid it looked clear and relatively fresh, but obviously could be bad. The pads seem completely stuck on, I tried tapping them with a rubber mallet, which had no effect. Is there anything I can soak the whole caliper in to try to loosen things up and free the piston? I'm kind of at a loss on what to do next. I thought about putting a piece of wood between the pads which would be thicker than the rotor, and tightening the bolts to attempt to push the piston back. Good/bad idea?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

·
Sensei
27,180 Posts
Pump the piston out with the master.... Inspect the piston, probably replace it .... Get new o-ring (rebuild kit)... This was covered in group, and pistons were available at a discount from our Australian brother.....

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
Nice tutorial w/ animation.

oldmanhonda.com/MC/Rbrakes.html

1 - 3 of 3 Posts