Honda Twins banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Call me crazy but I just bought a new bike. It's a 1979 CBX. Still have my SL350 but I just couldn't resist. Haven't taken delivery yet & can't wait! Definitely the biggest/baddest bike I've ever been on. Still love my SL350...

Attachments

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Wow - congratulations on buying one of the coolest bikes you'll ever own. They aren't the fastest "superbike" on the road anymore by far, but they are as unique as anything out there. It's clearly not original anymore with the seat change and chromed parts on it as well as the drilled discs... so if you want to really enjoy the sound of the 6 cylinders at high rpm, find a set of 6 into 6 pipes for it - you'll be glad you spent the money if you do, the sound is incredible. I'd love to know what you got it for... then again, it might make me sick - I'd love to have another one but can't find on in decent condition for anywhere near a reasonable price. I've had two of them over the years

79 CBX.jpg 1980 CBX.jpg

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I know there are much faster bikes these days but going fast doesn't interest me. Heck, I've never had my CB400F over 65. It just looks so darn cool to me. I remember the first time I saw a CBX in person. I thought "wow, wretched excess - I like it!". Kinda make a statement. I can't seem to escape bikes of the 70's :) Gads there are so many choices! Actually I was recently looking at a 2007 Buell XB9SX. I've always had an interest in Buells. Wow what torque right off idle and it wasn't even a 1200. The dealer wanted too much so I spent a lot more for the CBX. Yes, this CBX has been prettied up a bit but I like it. I read somewhere that chrome on a bike is like bacon to breakfast. I'm not sure I like the Corbin seat. I think I like the original better. We'll see. As far as the drilled rotors - hey they had them on the 81. Six into six pipes? I'll look into that. I also saw that 6 into 1 is available. I suspect either will require a bit of carb tuning. I still love my SL350. I think I have all the bikes I want now althought I still like the Buell. MV Agusta and Aprilia and Ducati are cool too. Maybe a Y2K hyperbike...

Attachments

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
The discs on the '81 weren't drilled, they were double-sided (for want of a better term) and slotted in between sides for cooling. I like the drilled discs but never took the time or effort to do it to either of mine. I can tell you with certainty that 6 into 6 makes the most horsepower for that engine - I had discussions with Tony Nicosia about adding a little more horsepower to my '79 back then - and the 6 into 1 is more for sound than performance. The 6 into 6 pipes didn't require re-jetting with the stock airbox on the bike, and it ran 3/4 of a second quicker in the quarter mile with the baffles out of them, running a best 11.86 at 117 mph for me. Love and miss both of them, wish I could afford to splurge on one... and yeah, a little chrome looks good on certain parts as well. Happy for you, enjoy it... I did both of mine. Especially doing this

CBX wheelie 1981.jpg

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Jealous - Period!

Seriously, there are two bikes still on my bucket list: a '79 CBX and a MK3 850 Norton Commando. Still waiting for the Lottery to come home...

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh yeah, a Norton Commando. How could I forget? Add one of those to my list. We all have good taste, yum... Looks like the 6 into 6 is thousands of dollar$. Ouch!

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Yeah, I know the 6-6 is pricey now, I paid around $300 for them back then... but the bike is a lot pricier now too. You'd fall in love with the sound, believe me

1 - 8 of 8 Posts