Honda Twins banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to order the bore-tech electronic ignition for my 73 CB450K6 and I figure since I'm doing so, I might as well replace the coils too. I assume the coils from Mike's XS (Part #17-6805) that everyone talks about on here would work with the bore-tech unit. Am I correct? Is this the best route to go or should I look into other coils to mate up with the bore-tech unit? Thanks so much for the advice.

·
Premium Member
670 Posts
tbpmusic said:
No, wrong coils - not suited for electronic ignitions, only for point-based systems.
Why is that exactly?
Bore-Tech advertises their Electronic Ignition system as being suitable for stock coils and supporting "aftermarket performance coils down to 3 ohms."

·
Premium Member
7,865 Posts
just ask Bill at Bore-tech, he'll set you straight...he also sells Dyna coils

·
Premium Member
670 Posts
outobie said:
just ask Bill at Bore-tech, he'll set you straight...he also sells Dyna coils
Yeah, I just emailed him.
I let you know what he says.

·
Premium Member
7,865 Posts
I got the Dyna Minis on mine...they really woke up the spark. I have a couple 350's and the one with the bore-tech electronic ignition and dyna coils has spark that looks 10 timex brighter than my stock bike with completely NOS electronics

·
Registered
89 Posts
i got the Mike's XS (Part #17-6805) on mine and it runs fine but i too would like to know the what could be better for my bore tech setup.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I emailed Bill Moeller at Boretech asking him about coils for their Boretech CB450 electronic ignition. This is his reply:

It is possible to use the stock coils with our ignition if they are in
good condition. The requirement for the coils is they just need to be
rated at 3 to 5 ohms resistance. The Dyna 3 ohm coils we sell have been
working very well.

Regards,
Bill Moeller
Bore Tech

I ordered the electronic ignition from Boretech, but I ended up ordering the Dyna DC3-1 Coils from Z-1 Enterprises (the cheapest source that I found in the 5 minutes I spent looking). I figured the Dyna coils would be a better investment than Mike's XS coils. Can't wait to get rid of my stupid spark advancer.

·
Premium Member
670 Posts
You're probably right about the Dynas being a better investment, but I did want to share this email from Bill Moeller:

Hello Bryan,
Our ignitions functions with coils from 3 to 5 ohms resistance. You should be fine with the 4 ohm coils you are using.

So it seems the XS coils will work fine. Good news, as I was planing on using these coils when I get the bore-tech EI.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I installed the Bore-Tech electronic ignition and the dyna coils on my CB450 during the past two days (yes, two days). Installation of the boretech unit was pretty easy. Mounting the coils proved to be quite a pain since they are a tad bit larger than the stock coils. I had to fabricate some make shift mounting brackets out of aluminum bar and bent them as needed to use the stock ignition key/horn mounting bolts. That was loads of fun as I snapped 4 brackets in half from too much bending. And I'm actually still one bracket short. That's a long story. I need to rethink my mounting system, but what I have now will work for a few days. All in all, I'm pretty happy with the improvement of the electronic ignition and new coils.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Brian, it would be great if you could report on using the XS coils with the Boyer. I picked up some mikeXS coils but was thinking of going to the Boyer ignition lately.

cheers
dan

thrilhou said:
You're probably right about the Dynas being a better investment, but I did want to share this email from Bill Moeller:

Hello Bryan,
Our ignitions functions with coils from 3 to 5 ohms resistance. You should be fine with the 4 ohm coils you are using.

So it seems the XS coils will work fine. Good news, as I was planing on using these coils when I get the bore-tech EI.

·
Registered
363 Posts
i'm running xs coils with the boretech system, works like a champ, getting rid of the stock advance really smoothed it out.

·
Registered
275 Posts
FWIW--
I'm using my OE coils with the Bore Tech ignition the racer-- nary a problem! Fires right up, ticks em off like a clock.
NO ONE passes me on the straights in my class-- NO ONE. And the engine is totally stock--
might just save a few bucks and try the stock coils-- or have you already ordered em?

·
Premium Member
7,865 Posts
the bore-tech ignition works fine with stock coils but there is a noticable performance increase with the dyna coils. especially at higher RPMs, where the stock coils tend to breakdown and loose some juice.

·
Registered
363 Posts
any new coil, (not 40 years old) will likely have a performance edge

1 - 16 of 16 Posts