Honda Twins banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I replaced the star detent and pizza cutter . I didn't put locktite on the thread of the bolt that goes into shift drum holding the star detent and shift drum stopper . Could this be a problem.?. I have ridden the bike for about 200miles since doing the repair .Would a hex head bolt (with locktite) replace the Phillips head one? (thought it might be easier to remove next time). the PO had used thread locker and it was so tough to get out, even when I drilled the head off the bolt.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
The outer plate - the neutral/first gear/fifth gear stopper portion of the mechanism - has a tapered hole designed for a countersunk-type of screw, with notches to stake the screw head in to prevent it from coming loose. A hex headed bolt wouldn't seat properly in the countersunk hole, and it would also stick out further than it should and might even come in contact with the gear on the clutch basket since the clearance there is not very wide. I've never liked having to use thread locker for the very reason you've described. I just repaired and re-assembled mine in that area and I used a chisel to stake the screw as Honda had designed it. One thing is for sure when we work on these old things... nuts, bolts and screws are still pretty much the same today as they were 50 years ago, and just because a method employed then seems old-school now doesn't mean it doesn't still work

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Tom thats exactly what I wanted to know. I will use the stake method. There is a shop near me called Souther Fasteners I have been able to get nut, bolt , screw, washer whatever including the blinker lens screws and replaced points plate and points screws with Allen head.(helps that it's metric)Also I have ordered the Century B3-5 springs for the timing advance . Thanks again for your help much appreciated

1 - 3 of 3 Posts