Honda Twins banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey everybody,
I was randomly looking around on the internet and found this link where people are talking about boiling carbs in distilled water to clean them... has anybody ever done this and does it work pretty well?

I've been taking a dental pic to the carbs but there are some hard to reach spots that are a real B**CH!!

http://www.z1ownersclub.co.uk/forum/vie ... php?t=1150
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
It will work, but I favor regular ol' carb cleaner that you buy in a gallon bucket, dip-tank style.

Say, haven't we talked before?? Didn't you contact me once about your 360, you're from the Chicago area??

bill

·
Registered
78 Posts
boil them in 3/4 water and 1/4 lemon juice.... works AWESOME!!! and smells pretty good as well... will clean them up like no other!

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
JRK5892 said:
boil them in 3/4 water and 1/4 lemon juice.... works AWESOME!!! and smells pretty good as well... will clean them up like no other!

And they turn such a lovely shade of red... Oh, no, wait a minute... that's LOBSTER'S.

:mrgreen:

·
Registered
147 Posts
I've tried boiling them in lemon juice to no avail, I've tried carb cleaner, I've tried Zep engine degreaser (which oxidized and ruined them). To get the gunk and old gas out of the orifices use a gallon of carb cleaner and let the bodies sit for24-48hrs, but in order to clean the outside our the carb body I recommend wire wheels, sandpaper, and polishing compounds!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Something that works well for removing the oxidation from the outer surfaces is soda blasting. You can buy a portable soda blaster from Harbor Freight for about $30. I have one and used it on the cases and other parts for my Harley build. It works well, but makes one helluva mess.

Also note that doing it in your yard will kill the grass...

·
Registered
68 Posts
Yamaha Carb Cleaner. Mix 50/50 with water. Put in a DOUBLE boiler on a hot plate and cook away for an hour or two at a rolling boil. Do it outside, smells very bad. No need to remove gaskets, EXCEPTION is paper gaskets, or disassemble the carb. Makes the carb body shiny, and cleanes all the gunk, corrision,varnish out of them. When it cools, pour through a piece of cheesecloth and save for later. I've done this a few time and it works well. All the info should be available on the VJMC site. There was a Yamaha Part # there also. FWIW. rollie in NS.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am in the process of pulling the carbs off my CL350 and purchased a ultrasonic cleaner from Harbor Freight to clean them. I had read several posts on how well it works and I will post pics as soon as I get a chance.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Here is a site showing how to make a ~$5 soda blaster. I built one and it works great. Really need a 20+ gal compressor, but it works great.

That being said, I'll still boil my carb bodies in lemon juice. I did it for the first time in June and it worked very well for me. I probably shouldn't have done it in the kitchen while my wife was home, but the fight wasn't that bad.

·
Premium Member
7,865 Posts
I personally don't like inducing that much temperature into the carbs. I've seen carbs crack from this method before. there is a brass fitting on the left side of the carbs with only a very thin aluminum casing around it. When you heat them up to quickly the brass and aluminum expand at different rates and can cause cracks. if you are determined to boil them at least put the carbs into the pot when the water is room temperature and bring them up to temperature slowly and then cool them slowly.

for all the effort and risk of damage i wouldn't bother...the Berryman's carb dip sold in the 1 gallon paint cans at most autoparts stores does the job with minimal effort and no risk of damage. just make sure you completely dissassemble them. for really heavy gunk they may need to soak for a day or so but eventually it will get them clean as new

1 - 12 of 12 Posts