Honda Twins banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, i have a 1980 honda cm400t, i put a 1982 honda cm 450 6 speed engine in the bike, i fully rebuilt the engine all new rings, gaskets, timing chain,new clutch and clutch springs, new oil & filter, new carb boots.. bike will idle perfect all day, good power til quater trottle anymore than that, the bike bogs out back fires and loses all her power let off trottle and she kicks in, its like half trottle or more no power let off on trottle and lots of power

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
also i put new plugs in the bike, and i took took the cabs off and removed the bowls and cleaned them and the jets

·
Sensei
26,573 Posts
Could be the advance pick-up winding in the stator ........Test it with a meter and compare to specs in manual....

·
Super Moderator
23,089 Posts
Run thru these test to verify your ignition system is good before dealing with the carbs

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i tried two different stators because i had a spare and still done same thing,, i do have a multi meter now tho and i will check it out in next few days...... i maybe wrong but i thinks its the carbs because the bike was stored since 1986 and when i tried to clean them they were really dirty,, and maybe i need to give them a really good cleaning with carb cleaner and air compressor and maybe a carb kit..i got a can of sea foam to try also

·
Super Moderator
23,089 Posts
It's quite possible that it's in the carbs. But considering that ignition and carb problems have almost identical symptoms it's worth testing and it can be done in less time than it takes to remove the carbs

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's quite possible that it's in the carbs. But considering that ignition and carb problems have almost identical symptoms it's worth testing and it can be done in less time than it takes to remove the carbs
I bought a multi meter, next time i gets a chances im going to check it out and i will let ya know the results thanks so much for the help

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just wondering, i put a 450 engine in the 400 frame after i bought the bike, the only thing i got was the complete engine, no carbs or eletrical stuff belong to the 450,, so i used everything belong to the 400 engine that came in the bike, would that happen to cause the bogging out problem??? or is all the electrical the same for the 1980 honda cm400t and the 1982 450..... also i had to use the 1980 400 carbs on the 450 engine

·
Super Moderator
9,847 Posts
For a continuation of this discussion, please go here:

·
Super Moderator
9,847 Posts
Oops. ChrisHonda started a new topic with the same question. I was hoping to avoid having two separate discussions on the same question. Here's the topic I should have linked to:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
sorry,, i was just wondrting if the 400 carbs would be alright on the 450 engine makin sure it would run normally.. plus i have everything from the 400 engine on the 450 engine because the only thing i got with the 450 engine was the engine itself, so i was wondrring if everything is the same from the 400 and the 450 when it comes to carbs and things for spark..

·
Super Moderator
23,089 Posts
The ignition is exactly the same for the 400 and 450
The early 78/79 400's used 32mm VB21 carbs and 1980 switched to 30mm VB22 carbs which remained thru the 1986 CB450SC

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i got the rpm gauge hooked up and took my bike out for a couple rides, she starts bogging down and backfiring at 7000rpm, and she killed the new plugs i put in er, i took them out and heated them with the torch but only lasted for 15kms and she done the same thing again so im going to grab some new plugs,, whats the best plugs for this bike?? what do you think would cause the bike to die put at 7000 rpms??up til 7000 the bike pulls really good

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
OP, you got multiple threads going for the same bike and each has different info.
I replied to your other thread, but saw at least 2 others recommending you do the ignition diagnosis with links to it. Do it already!
Your issue may have to do with missing baffles. Not sure if you need to fatten up your big jet, but you say the plugs are black?
Do the ignition diagnosis, try a new coil and hotter plug?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i have a multi meter and tried to do the readings, but all that is new to me i have never done readings before, i might sound stupid but do the bike need to be running for it?? and when doing the readings on the stator do the flywheel need to be in a certian spot?? do you know the number for the hotter plug??

·
Super Moderator
11,002 Posts
i have a multi meter and tried to do the readings, but all that is new to me i have never done readings before, i might sound stupid but do the bike need to be running for it?? and when doing the readings on the stator do the flywheel need to be in a certian spot?? do you know the number for the hotter plug??
You should re-read this post on how to test the components. When using a meter, you never check ohms with a component in use, you disconnect the component and check the readings against what Jim wrote in the testing post

1 - 19 of 19 Posts