Honda Twins banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i found 66sprint's wiring diagram but i have a couple of q's where or what do i connect the green wire left over from the alt. and where is the ignition (key) also theres no fuses? i'm not new to wiring but new to wiring bikes

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
The light green with red stripe wire coming from the alternator area is the neutral light switch wire...... The ignition key switch is represented by the circle with the zig-zag in the upper left..... Fuses may be added inline in any circuit after the ignition switch

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
The Black wire "pointing" left is the switched power to everything (main power buss)... Add a connection to whatever you wish to power, including an inline fuse if you so choose.......This is essentially the same wire(s) as the black wire(s) on the stock harness...... For the solenoid, connect black directly to one side (wire), run the other wire to a "grounds when pushed" button... You will need to add the 6 ga. wires to the solenoids terminals from the battery and to the starter motor....

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
sorry to post on this again but does the green and red wire (neutral switch) go to any thing if i aint got any lights other than head and tail or is it just grounded? still cant get it going

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
Keep asking questions...Between us we'll get it wired......
The green/red only connects the neutral light to ground when the bike is in neutral. If you aren't running a neutral light, you don't need to connect it at all......
The Black (power buss) must somehow connect to everything you need powered.... If you are just running engine, head and taillight, and horn, it should go to your "lights on" switch, one of the horn terminals, and either to the "kill-switch" or directly to both coils..... It also needs to connect to the brake-light switch(es)..........If you are using the electric starter, it needs to also go to one of the small solenoid wires.....

The components each need to have a "return" connection to complete "their" circuit....
For the engine, the points do that, grounding the coils (as needed), and they are already getting their power either directly from the black wire (buss), or from the black/white stripe wire from the "kill" switch (which gets that power through its black wire which goes to the "buss".....
From the horn, the "other" wire (light green) grounds when you push the button, sounding the horn...
On the E-start, the button grounds the "other" wire from the solenoid (yellow/red stripe) activating it, and the solenoid closes the "Hot" connection to the starter motor, which is already grounded...
The headlight "high/low" switch "chooses" which filament the power goes to (blue or white) after it gets through/comes from the "headlight on" switch.... and also connects the taillight power (to the brown wire) at the same time.... "on" and "hi/low" can be two separate switches or one contained unit.......(depends on year and model, but doesn't matter as long as all the connections are completed)
The "brake" light gets power when the brake switch is activated, the "far end" (return)is already grounded through the filament...
Start at the black power buss, and "follow" the powers "path" to each component you want to work..... Once power gets to any component, "follow" from that component to its ground... If the "path" is complete, the component should be working....

If this doesn't cure the problem, post which component isn't working, and we'll follow its specific power path again...... Steve

1 - 8 of 8 Posts