Honda Twins banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If this screen is completely blocked would it prevent oil from reaching my top end?

Reason I ask is my rockers are completely buggered and my journals are done. Took off the screen and it was blocked completely.

Guess I know why the bike was over heating easily now.

·
Sensei
27,180 Posts
Yes, that is where the pump "picks-up" the oil to send it everywhere in the engine, Top end, Crankshaft, Transmission, etc....... A "full of sludge" oil filter can have the same effect....

The question is " Did the blockage cause the failure, or is it an indication of a different failure that ultimately caused the screen to become blocked up with metal particles (like running with no oil whatsoever, or a blocked oil passage)...... ONE improperly installed gasket or any excess sealant (silicone, RTV, gasket shellac, etc) can block an oil passage.......... A "fleck" of "old gasket" could even be the cause....

·
Premium Member
5,610 Posts
That sucks Dirtbag. Oil blockages seem to be the trend here lately, unfortunately, must be the third one mentioned here recently. When you take it all apart you better go through each and every oil passage and make sure its totally open.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It looks like the PO never even checked it. I've already got the parts ordered. Tough lesson to learn but at least it'll explain the heat build up. I think i'll take this opportunity to open the oil passages a little bit too.

·
Sensei
27,180 Posts
Be careful about opening them up except at the actual "bearing feed or contact points"....The passage size pressure differentials (or an orifice) control what amount flows where..... Opening one passage essentially reduces flow pressure/volume to other areas....You COULD open them ALL up proportionally, but that would reduce the flow rate unless you get a higher volume pump.........

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I better just leave them then.

I'm glad I picked a small easy bike to learn on. I ordered a cam, sprocket, headcover, and head for about 150 bucks off ebay. Not a bad deal.

My cylinder walls still have crosshatching and the ring gaps are perfectly on spec.

I'm going to tear the entire motor apart and clean all the metal from the rockers that has polluted it.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Did you replace the cam chain tensioner/slipper and cam chain guide? My oil filter was full of teflon from these two deteriorating.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes. In fact there was a piece of the old tensioner in there that the PO didn't remove. I found it wedged between the new tensioner and the chain when I broke everything down yesterday.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts