Honda Twins banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I am nearly done with the resauration of my 1972 cb 450. This weekend I disassambled the carbs and ultasoned all the parts. With assembling the jet (the small one) I saw that the upper part is blocked on both the carbs.see pic. Is that normal? Thanks in advance for your comment.
Eric 746177B3-D2C0-440D-B300-82C44171FBB3.jpg

·
Registered
167 Posts
No those jets aren't clean. There is a specific jet cleaning tool with a variety of different thickness of wires for cleaning the small orfices in the jets. You should be able to blow compressed air through the jets and see light through the jet hole.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Flyin900,
Are you abolutely sure? Looking close to the place where the hole must be, I can see that it is filled with someting metal. On the jets of both carbs!

·
Banned
854 Posts
I cleaned mine recently and my jets didn't go straight through either there was a hole drilled 90 degrees through connecting to the other hole facing toward the body of the carb. Looks like the other end of the hole was plugged as you say.

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
The "jets" with the holes in the sides are generally emulsion tubes which supply a place for air and fuel to mix.. The jets screw into them. The jets should be squeaky clean as must the passages in the carb body. Were those in the carbs when you ultrasonically cleaned them? Be very careful with the wire type cleaners as any damage to the jets can compromise their function.

·
Banned
854 Posts
The "jets" with the holes in the sides are generally emulsion tubes which supply a place for air and fuel to mix.. The jets screw into them. The jets should be squeaky clean as must the passages in the carb body. Were those in the carbs when you ultrasonically cleaned them? Be very careful with the wire type cleaners as any damage to the jets can compromise their function.
I'm talking about jets(I know the difference), so you are saying the smaller jet on the K7 450 should go all the way through? I don't have this bike going yet although it will run but not idle. Please clarify, thanks.

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
The jet in the picture (part # 20 in the fiche) should have a hole going straight through (even the screwdriver slot appears to be filled with whatever that is). It screws into part # 19 which appears to have holes in the sides but not in the ends so, when the two are assembled, it would not go all the way through. In any case, the jet in the picture is clearly obstructed and needs to be cleaned or possibly replaced.

Western Honda Powersports- Honda Dealers 50 years In AZ Motorcycles ATVs Sales Parts Service & Repair

(Referring to picture in Eric's first post)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Pulled jet to have a look, side with screwdriver slot appears to have a metal plug in it.
That ‘s what I thought!! Thank you all, special thank to Rscottp to take the time to pull the jet. Now I can continue to build with convidence. Greetings from the netherlands!!

·
Banned
854 Posts
Weird, it really looks like there is a metal plug in it and it sounds like the Eric has jets with the same metal plug.

·
Banned
854 Posts
The jet in the picture (part # 20 in the fiche) should have a hole going straight through (even the screwdriver slot appears to be filled with whatever that is). It screws into part # 19 which appears to have holes in the sides but not in the ends so, when the two are assembled, it would not go all the way through. In any case, the jet in the picture is clearly obstructed and needs to be cleaned or possibly replaced.

Western Honda Powersports- Honda Dealers 50 years In AZ Motorcycles ATVs Sales Parts Service & Repair

(Referring to picture in Eric's first post)
That jet in the parts fisch doesn't match what is in my 74' carbs, perhaps Eric has a newer set of carbs with the plugged jet that matched mine.

Did a bit more investigating and the part # is correct(991442920380) but the diagram of the jet is incorrect.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts